What has been your most challenging call?

itku2er

At work today I had a chance to talk with an old friend that I hadn't seen in awhile he transported a resident back to the facality today from a trip to the er. We were discussing the "OLD" days in ems when we both started out. Well after talking with him I had a few calls come to mind that I had forgotten about, So it got me to thinking about the many calls I have had. So now I would like to know what has been the most challenging call you have had in your EMS carreer. The one that left your heart broken your brain picked beyond belief and you second guessing yourself.

(there has been topics close to this one but I couldnt find one with wanting to know this. I found one for the worse best most memorial but I want to know the one that you know something was wrong but you really had to use your brain to figure it out. If I over looked it please forgive me.)

6 yr old shot in the abdomen with a 22. She looked up at us and asked 'am I gonna die'. I looked her in the eye and said no not today. We treated we transported she flew to Seattle, hit her pancreas and VC. Almost lost her several times I guess she had a lot of internal damage but she has made a full recovery saw her 5-6 months later. Looked good and she was taking hunters safety with her brother to desensitize her to firearms, she was obviously traumatized by the experience. Followed that case for weeks and kept in touch with the family to she how she was reran that call a 100 times in my head. Kid that did the shooting is in the JV system know hopefully they can straighten him out he was only 10 at the time. I did learn from that experience not to beat myself over the head on things I could have done beater but to do everything I can to improve my performance next time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.