How do I?

jimpy

Hi guys and girls.

First the introductions, my name's Ian and I'm from England. I work as an EMT1/Ambulance Care Assistant in London.

Been a "silent watcher" of the forums for quite a while but have now decided to jump in and ask a few questions which I hope can be answered either in whole or in part on here

I am looking at moving to the Chicago area sometime in the next couple of years to be with my girlfriend, so accommodation etc is not a problem, however employment is.

I am confused as to the definition of EMT in the US and what the requirements/skills remit of an EMT are in the US.

My skills remit in the UK is not massive, I am nowhere near paramedic level, but do have a good skills range that I am allowed/certified to do.

I appreciate that this is a bit short and "abrupt" but any sensible suggestions/help/pointers on this would be very much appreciated.

All the best to all on here

Ian

Hi guys and girls.

First the introductions, my name's Ian and I'm from England. I work as an EMT1/Ambulance Care Assistant in London.

Been a "silent watcher" of the forums for quite a while but have now decided to jump in and ask a few questions which I hope can be answered either in whole or in part on here

I am looking at moving to the Chicago area sometime in the next couple of years to be with my girlfriend, so accommodation etc is not a problem, however employment is.

I am confused as to the definition of EMT in the US and what the requirements/skills remit of an EMT are in the US.

My skills remit in the UK is not massive, I am nowhere near paramedic level, but do have a good skills range that I am allowed/certified to do.

I appreciate that this is a bit short and "abrupt" but any sensible suggestions/help/pointers on this would be very much appreciated.

All the best to all on here

Ian

Welcome Ian first off I would suggest you call the EMS board in the area you plan on moving to and get a list of things that you need to do before you get over here so you can start to prepare for the move and make a smooth transition into what needs to be done.

Welcome to the boards! ;)

I'm not to familiar with what is required of EMTs across the pond... would you mind letting us know what kind of training was involved and what kind of stuff you do? Not that I'd be able to directly answer your question even with that info, but I'm interested to hear.

It might do you well to give the National Registry a call and see what options are open for reciprocity, if any. Surely you are not the first person to try this, there must be a way besides completely starting over.

Edited by fiznat

More importantly is the issue of a visa. Without one you cannot enter the US with a view to commencing employment. If, and only if, you plan to settle down with your GF, i.e marry her, she may apply for a K-1 visa on your behalf which can lead to conditional permanent residency status for you. This may be adjusted to LPR (lawful permanent resident) after a couple of years, providing you have satisfied all the requirements of the USCIS (immigration), which includes staying put in the US for a predetermined length of time. While your adjustment of status is pending, and after you have been approved, you may receive a temporary work permit from the outset. This is restrictive and temporary, but it gets you out working, paying your taxes, building up a credit score etc.

Remember, it is your contact in the US who has to apply for a visa on your behalf, and she must prove that you will not be a financial burden to the state. She will have to submit a notarized affidavit of support showing that she earns enough to take care of both of you.

Your UK qualifications are not transferable, but that isn't a problem as there are so many medic mills out there, that starting from scratch is not going to be an issue.

It will take several years and several grand, for the application process to be completed. Here is where you start...

www.uscis.gov

If you need any more info, PM me. I am sure I know you from elsewhere ;)

Edited by scott33

If you need any more info, PM me. I am sure I know you from elsewhere ;)

Hi Scott

If you're who I think you are, yes we do "know" each other from another site based in the UK. (If it confirms who you think I am, I'm the guy with the red GoldWing on the other site!)

Thanks for the "basics", I will be in touch when I have sat down and sorted out the pro's and cons and logistics etc, mainly which will be the better option for all of us, ie, do I move to her or does she move to me, (Probably the former!)

All the best

Ian

Hi Scott

If you're who I think you are, yes we do "know" each other from another site based in the UK. (If it confirms who you think I am, I'm the guy with the red GoldWing on the other site!)

Thanks for the "basics", I will be in touch when I have sat down and sorted out the pro's and cons and logistics etc, mainly which will be the better option for all of us, ie, do I move to her or does she move to me, (Probably the former!)

All the best

Ian

Hi Just read this.

Yes it is the "you" I was thinking about. I am the same "Scott33" as on the Uk site and a few others.

Just PM me, here or on the other side of the pond and I will help all I can.

later...

Edited by scott33

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.