Tennessee Hospital Based EMS Service

superk

I think it's Fayette county, which is right outside of Memphis, that has a hospital based service. I don't know of any other hospital based around here. Don't know about Nashville except that city service is fire based in both places.

Do you mind if I ask why it must be hospital based? There are several privates around here that do 911 in the counties. In fact, all county territory is covered by privates. Not just R/M either.

I think it's Fayette county, which is right outside of Memphis, that has a hospital based service. I don't know of any other hospital based around here. Don't know about Nashville except that city service is fire based in both places.

Do you mind if I ask why it must be hospital based? There are several privates around here that do 911 in the counties. In fact, all county territory is covered by privates. Not just R/M either.

Good point on the privates. Just didn't think about that. What are some privates in the area? Thanks for the response!

I'm going to work for Pafford in Tunica, MS as soon as I pass the paramedic national registry. That contract is being re bid though. Not sure who's going to wind up with it. We're right on the border of MS in Memphis. R/M has some of the county, but their getting the boot when their contract is up.

Good thing about North MS is that their fire depts. don't require you to be a fire fighter to be a paramedic. You can be on the fire dept as a medic and not have to be a hose jockey. Cross training is truly optional.

The counties just to the east of us have their own county run services. I found out today that Fayette just went that route too.

There are plenty of options close by without having to join Memphis Fire.

Do alot of research before you leap. I had a friend from Mississippi who also worked in Tennessee, and claims the pay is way below average there. He had to move to Georgia to find real money. Then again, the cost of living is much cheaper there.

That was true until very recently. Now, with a shortage of medics and competition between to many services in a concentrated area, pay has been driven up. I've been offered $65,000 + free life insurance as a rookie medic by one of the busier services. Cost of living is lower here too. That kind of money is the only thing keeping us here.

That was true until very recently. Now, with a shortage of medics and competition between to many services in a concentrated area, pay has been driven up. I've been offered $65,000 + free life insurance as a rookie medic by one of the busier services. Cost of living is lower here too. That kind of money is the only thing keeping us here.

65k.....highly doughbtful

Fayette County is not hospital based, but nonetheless a great service. Good people, equipment, and protocols; unfortunately quite small with little turnover.

West Tennessee Healthcare runs hospital based EMS out of Jackson, TN.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if any of the hospitals/health systems in Memphis or Nashville have their own ambulance service - ALS and/or BLS? May be moving to that area. Thanks.

Used to work in the nashville area. There are several privates in Metro davidson countyy, though 911 is handled by NFD.

Williamson County EMS is actually run out of the hospital. As is Rutherford EMS I believe. The remaining ones surrounding the area (Dixon, Cheatham, Robertson, Sumner ) are small 3rd service model EMS, as is Montgomery County (clarksville) to the north.

The surrounding counties are your best options, my memories of the privates in the Nashville area are not pleasant by any means. But thats been 10 yeara ago or more.

65k.....highly doughbtful

"Doughbt" all you want. It is an ABC shift. With the OT it works out to $65,000. That was the offer. I have no reason to make up bullshit for your entertainment. Good day sir.

Edited by Katiebug

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.