Any help with learning phases 0-4?

I've just started acls. I'm having trouble remembering the phases. I'm a visual learner and as yet have not been able to find any visual aids. Does anyone know of a web site that may have an animation or still pictures? Even a mneumonic(sp?) may help. I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

I've just started acls. I'm having trouble remembering the phases. I'm a visual learner and as yet have not been able to find any visual aids. Does anyone know of a web site that may have an animation or still pictures? Even a mneumonic(sp?) may help. I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Hey there, this is very basic and I will add a file here in the next two days of a good diagram you can use as a visual learner. It takes some time to grasp the concept.

remember whats in the cell and outside the cell in a normal homeostatic state.

Na+: Sodium is outside

K+: Potassium inside

Ca++: outside

think of a concentration gradient as a slide, so "things" slide down the concentration gradient from positive to negative.

Phase 0: Na+ slides in

Phase 1: Na+ lets Ca++ slide in

Phase 2: K+ slides out

Phase 3: K+ slides out (remember at about -70 mV the cell hits the relative refractory period where some cells will depolarize (VF?)

Phase 4: Na+/K+ ATPase pump is very strong when supplied with energy (a body building dad)

so it pushes his children Na+ and K+ up the slide ( Na+ now pushed outside cell, K+ pushed inside the cell...but he favors one kid, look up which one.)

Sorry it's rudimentary I'll send a little better in a few days, this covers the basics for you. Keep this infront of you when your looking at your cardiac drugs and it will give you a good idea of why Lidocaine and Amio are used in ACLS.

make the cell more positive, it has the tendancy to depolarize easily

make the cell more negative, it has the tendancy not to depolarize as easily

Let me know if this helps.

If your more interested in pharmacology, I would suggest investing in Lippincott's it has helped me through all my education needs thus far.

Best of luck

Snake

Thank you. It helps a little, but it's still kind of not sticking. I've read it several times now in two different books. The visual in my ECG Made Easy book just confused me more! I think when I go to class tonight I might see if one of the proctors might be able to help, too. They are more for skills training but you never know. This is so frustrating. I've never had to work this hard to learn something. Class is way past the phases now and I'm getting everything fine, but I've got the sneaking suspicion it's all going to tie in.

Thank you! I'm going to go check that out right now. Hopefully the movie will get it to finally sink in.

Hey there, this is very basic and I will add a file here in the next two days of a good diagram you can use as a visual learner. It takes some time to grasp the concept.

remember whats in the cell and outside the cell in a normal homeostatic state.

Na+: Sodium is outside

K+: Potassium inside

Ca++: outside

think of a concentration gradient as a slide, so "things" slide down the concentration gradient from positive to negative.

Phase 0: Na+ slides in

Phase 1: Na+ lets Ca++ slide in

Phase 2: K+ slides out

Phase 3: K+ slides out (remember at about -70 mV the cell hits the relative refractory period where some cells will depolarize (VF?)

Phase 4: Na+/K+ ATPase pump is very strong when supplied with energy (a body building dad)

so it pushes his children Na+ and K+ up the slide ( Na+ now pushed outside cell, K+ pushed inside the cell...but he favors one kid, look up which one.)

Sorry it's rudimentary I'll send a little better in a few days, this covers the basics for you. Keep this infront of you when your looking at your cardiac drugs and it will give you a good idea of why Lidocaine and Amio are used in ACLS.

make the cell more positive, it has the tendancy to depolarize easily

make the cell more negative, it has the tendancy not to depolarize as easily

Let me know if this helps.

If your more interested in pharmacology, I would suggest investing in Lippincott's it has helped me through all my education needs thus far.

Best of luck

Snake

post-9436-1238198048_thumb.jpg

post-9436-1238198065_thumb.jpg

post-9436-1238198076_thumb.jpg