Proper Exam Techniques - Expose or Fail

spenac

Yeah, this is getting pretty confusing isn't it? The long and short of it, however, seems to be that everyone agrees we need to expose an area for assessment. There are just some disagreements as to why. Am I on the right track here? Also, I don't feel why is as important(not saying it's not important though!) as just the fact that it's done. If you stayed awake in class and read your book every now and then, you'll probably know trouble when you see/feel it.

Yeah, this is getting pretty confusing isn't it? The long and short of it, however, seems to be that everyone agrees we need to expose an area for assessment. There are just some disagreements as to why. Am I on the right track here? Also, I don't feel why is as important(not saying it's not important though!) as just the fact that it's done. If you stayed awake in class and read your book every now and then, you'll probably know trouble when you see/feel it.

As you get your Paramedic education you will start to actually understand more completely what you are seeing, feeling, and hearing.

As you get your Paramedic education you will start to actually understand more completely what you are seeing, feeling, and hearing.

Absolutely, no doubt about it. Even at the basic level, though, we were taught at least a little about what's normal versus what's not. And since I'm a visual learner, I've checked out every single photo I can find. I really believe though that if there is something major going on as far as seeing/feeling I'd have a pretty good idea it's not normal. I didn't know exactly what it was I'd have no problem calling med control/my charge nurse(if I decide to work in a hospital for awhile) and getting their input. I do feel I'd know "It's not supposed to look/feel like that" even if I don't know what's causing it, and it'd probably still give me more time to treat for shock, etc. before they are actually circling the drain. Hearing, maybe not so much with some things(heart sounds?) but things like wheezing and rhonchi...definitely not normal. I'm still trying to figure out what a split s1 sounds like(told I have one) but I listen to the heart/lung sounds of myself and everyone else I know to at least get an idea of what I'm supposed to be hearing. However, you are completely correct in that I still have a ways to go in my training/experience, which is exactly why I'm considering working as an emt-i for a while before continuing.

...I still have a ways to go in my training/experience, which is exactly why I'm considering working as an emt-i for a while before continuing.

Don't do it! You don't need training and experience to become a competent diagnostician. You need EDUCATION! You will get 100 times more benefit out of a semester of college Anatomy & Physiology than you would out of five years as an EMT-I. Your I training was a complete waste of time. I experience will be equally useless. Experience does not have optimum benefit on your practice until it has a theoretical foundation from which to grow. And the only place to get that theoretical foundation is back in school. The longer you wait to do that, the less of a medic you will ultimately be.

Don't do it! You don't need training and experience to become a competent diagnostician. You need EDUCATION! You will get 100 times more benefit out of a semester of college Anatomy & Physiology than you would out of five years as an EMT-I. Your I training was a complete waste of time. I experience will be equally useless. Experience does not have optimum benefit on your practice until it has a theoretical foundation from which to grow. And the only place to get that theoretical foundation is back in school. The longer you wait to do that, the less of a medic you will ultimately be.

Right, the only problem is the majority of EMS programs have no education requirements at all. Its training not education.

So would you consider a paramedic TRAINING program a theoretical foundation? I'm not sure I would. The problem is there are few programs that educate and a million that train. Usually the educational programs are expensive, much more lengthy and in-depth, two things most people today are not interested in.

You're preaching to the choir, Bro. But someone who is motivated to be the best they can be will take those foundation courses, whether their medic mill school requires them or not. That's what we hope to encourage here.

As for cost, I have found the opposite of what you have seen. The two-year programmes are usually community college based, with tuitions that are both cheaper than the non-collegiate schools, and allowing for payments by semester instead of a lump sum.

Edited by Dustdevil

You're preaching to the choir, Bro. But someone who is motivated to be the best they can be will take those foundation courses, whether their medic mill school requires them or not. That's what we hope to encourage here.

As for cost, I have found the opposite of what you have seen. The two-year programmes are usually community college based, with tuitions that are both cheaper than the non-collegiate schools, and allowing for payments by semester instead of a lump sum.

Yes, my mistake you are correct. The community college programs that I have read about are affordable. We dont have any that offer the paramedic program as of yet.

Do you think that todays economy is forcing students to lean more towards the training programs then the traditional education programs? I dont necessarily agree with that choice but I can definitely understand it. Just due to the fact that they can be done in six months versus two years.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I had mentioned on another thread that I had been told not to stop, but only given the reason of not having to repeat my clinicals which I wouldn't mind doing. These are much better reasons. My program is a two year(not including my basic) program, with the option of adding a semester or two and getting my associate's. I intend on getting my a.a.s. and taking a&p as my health elective and biology or better as my science elective. In fact, I'm going to make all of my general studies relate in some way to my eventual work as a paramedic. I've actually considered starting another thread to get advice on what would be good courses to take. I don't want to hijack this thread, through, so I'll leave it at that. Again, thank you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.