Doc just put me on this prescription Captain.....

How about if the worker had a legit script for let's say, Marinol?

Hey read a PDR on alot of SSRI's and other anti-pysch drugs. All legal no body says crap yet many EMS. Cops, Firefighters use these (hey they are legal by gosh). Obviously ya dont want someone impaired on the job right ? A urine test tells you a person has a drug in their system. It does not tell you when or how long that drug has been in their system although we know some drugs dont stay in your system that long compared to others. I respect doczilla's medical opinion as an MD but if all MD's agreed about all treatments and Rx, then medicine would be a science instead of an art eh? I think most services would have their Medical Director give a GO/NO GO for an EMS worker on a DEA scheduled 4 Rx before they were cleared to work. I would if you were working under my license! Be safe and remember just cause a PDR says an Rx is indicated for this or that, an MD can pretty much write a script for what he/she wants. Look how many people you transport taking cardiac/resp/GI/Endocrine Rx combo's clearly contraindicated per PDR so why and how does that happen? Yes I expect rounds to start coming in now but thanks just my opinions folks! Be excellent to each other!

Xanax = pure evil. Its short acting nature starts more addiction problems than anything. He needs to avoid his physician (or anyone who prescribes xanax) and get himself to a psychiatrist to get his anxiety under control with one of several more reasonable options.

OK, so you send him home and then his lawyer calls you and tells you that you are violating the EMT's rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Now what would you do ?

I ask what his disability is that he needs to take NyQuil and for documentation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.