EMT-I/P course layout

So I've noticed some students take courses like a&p and pharm seperately. My intro to als has all of the emt-i pharm and our a&p as well as pathophys, human systems, airway management, iv access/med admin etc with it. It's an intense 8 week course with a very low pass rate. When I asked about it one of the department heads said it was set up like this to more or less weed out the people that don't need to be there, giving the rest of us more time for one on one time as needed as we advance. It's (alledgedly) to drop slackers, title seekers, and people that may have all the heart but just don't have the critical thinking skills. We were told to expect less that 1/3 of the class to return(we are on one week of spring break right now, class ended the 8th). I got and 88(B) on my final and 87(B) overall and when I expressed my disappointment to a proctor he told me I was in the top 5% of course enrollees. Does anyone else have a set up like this or is unique to this area? In case anyone is wondering, we use Mosby's Paramedic Textbook. Also, are there other programs with such a high failure rate?

If anyone is curious about the rest of the course, feel free to ask. I'm just too lazy to go get my full syllabus unless anyone actually wants to know. :blush:

There are actually several programs (mostly college based) that use this approach and frankly I don't find much wrong with it. I find a student needs a good understanding behind how the drugs we give work and the disease processes they are treating before they are cut loose to (I'm gonna break it out here) practice cookbook medicine. The other classes are meant to develop critical thinking skills in addition to teaching you how to study and yes, weed out the ones that aren't willing to put forth the effort to learn. If they are slacking about this stuff, then frankly they don't need to be in class. Period. End of story. Yes, it's tough stuff and you feel overwhelmed, however if you're willing to put forth the effort, you get much in return.

As far as course set up - the program I went through required separate anatomy and physiology (2 semesters) with lab each, pharmacology, medical ethics, psychology, and cardiology along with basic college algebra. A score of a minimum of a B was required in each in order to progress to the other portion of class when you began the main medic portion. Then once in medic class, you were required to score a minimum of an 80 on all tests or else you were dropped from the program with only one test retested. The class had a very high success rate for passing NR for all that exhausted all their testing options.

I don't find much fault with the idea and frankly that is how the ideal course would be set up.

I have been hired as the "Cleaner". Recently two schools have contracted me as consultant and educator to help reduce the "slackers" and improve their focus upon quality products. As well, to ensure those that do finish and pass the course to actually pass the NREMT or license examination.

Yes, everyone knows those that cannot "pass" the exam but are good field this or that. That maybe fine but let's face it; if you don't pass the boards, it really does not matter how good you are in a class room. Without that card, your nothing.

Also, this is a profession. To be a professional; you must think as one, act as one, perform as one and then be one. It first start with aptitude and attitude. Take the courses and studies serious.

As an educator, it is NOT my job to read to you what is contained within your book. I am there to motivate and direct, clarify and guide your journey to learning. If you can't read then that itself is an educational and personal problem, not mine. I will direct you to the appropriate persons and areas to increase your reading; then come back when you are ready. I give assignments for a reason, for you to learn. No one can teach you anything if you do not want to.

I have found the majority of EMT students do not take the course or their studies serious. So; I don't take them serious when they fail. Remember, educators/teachers don't fail them; they fail themselves. When asked how many actually placed any true effort within the course?

How many actually have set study time? How many read the assigned chapters; specifically the objectives way before class night and have outlined the chapter and already answered the objectives? Have questions related to the studies to ask the teacher/professor? How many sign up for the extra lab or ask for extra time to practice?

I also see that majority of EMS students fail to learn what "group study" is. Without it usually means failure. I can assure one, without such late night "study groups" my studies and interest and competitiveness would be less. Sparks of being in-depth and drive as well as coverage of all not "just" enough.

So yes, it is expected to have a high drop or fail rate. My last course I taught last fall 6 out of 24 made it.

R/r911

Edited by Ridryder 911

As an educator, it is NOT my job to read to you what is contained within your book. I am there to motivate and direct, clarify and guide your journey to learning. If you can't read then that itself is an educational and personal problem, not mine. I will direct you to the appropriate persons and areas to increase your reading; then come back when you are ready. I give assignments for a reason, for you to learn. No one can teach you anything if you do not want to.

I have found the majority of EMT students do not take the course or their studies serious. So; I don't take them serious when they fail. Remember, educators/teachers don't fail them; they fail themselves. When asked how many actually placed any true effort within the course?

So yes, it is expected to have a high drop or fail rate. My last course I taught last fall 6 out of 24 made it.

R/r911

I agree. I hate when students fail to prepare then gripe. That is one reason I do so well in distance learning as I force myself to study in depth. I force myself to never settle for the skim the material and find key points to pass the test.

Rid I would like to see you copy and paste your comments on the other sites you post on. Maybe it would help people get the idea they need to put some effort into it.

Ours is a minimum of a 75 to pass, and you don't have to pass all tests not even the final. Just a 75 overall. I thought this sounded like awfully low standards.

Also, I hate to say it but I'm glad to get rid of some of my classmates. There were several you could tell from day one that just weren't there for the right reasons and intended to put forth no effort. One woman I'm sad to see go. I just found out she won't be returning. She has all the heart, she studies her tail off, comes in a minimum of two extra days a week. She just simply wasn't getting it. The others, forget em. That just means more hands on time for me in practicals and more q&a during class when the teacher isn't constantly having to break up their idiocy.

Edited by JessiR