What's the rhythm?

fiznat

That is MAT, or A-fib they are the same thing if you look at the definitions. This is my first post so let me know if you agree.

Hey LyonN,

Welcome to the forums!!! I hope you get a lot out of them and learn a lot - as I have certainly done.

I disagree that MAT and A-fib are the same thing. I'm sure if you go back and look at the diagnostic ECG criteria for the two you will see the distinct differences between them. That would certainly save me a bit of typing however if you would prefer that I outline the specific differences here just let me know and I'll hit the keyboard.

Stay safe,

Curse :devil:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, if you consider atrial rates in AF, vs atrial rates in MAT - as well as other physiological differences such as cardiac output, you will see that AF and MAT are very different in many ways. AF often produces the "quivering atria" due to completely random impulses firing at such a rapid rate, from any and many foci within the atria, and of which only a fraction will result in conduction throught the AV node.

With MAT, the impulses are more organized and individually, are more likely to continue conduction through the AV node and beyond - hence the P-wave (or similar) before every QRS.

Sorry, completely different.

Edited by scott33

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.