Gov't getting involved with personal health decisions

dallasdame

Here is another fine story of government trying to impose themselves and take away the rights of the general public.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Tanned-Te...ext-Winter.html

As some may know, I've been a dermatological assistant for several years and personally disagree with teenagers going to tanning beds, HOWEVER, it is still their right if their parents approve. Now, Texas state gov't wants to take away the parents right to allow their kids to do what the feel is ok. They want the parents to take their kids to a doctor and have them sign a consent to allow them to tan. A 3rd person! Not only that, but what doctor is going to say it's ok? Certainly not any of the doctors I work with.

Again...i'm against kids tanning, but MORE against the gov't taking away my right as a parent to say its ok for my child to do something.

We don't allow teenagers to drive cars until they are 16 or 18. You can not drive an ambulance in most states until you are 18. We don't allow them to use FF extrication equipment until they are 18. We don't allow them to work with certain blades and saws in the food industry until they are 18. You can not have a medical license with access to medications until you are 18. This government also has child labor laws to restrict employers from taking advantage or exploiting them. Some states now have laws against smoking in a car with children present.

Which of those do you also disagree with?

Sometimes where children are concerned the government has to step in because some parents are misinformed about certain dangers and some are just too clueless when it comes to commonsense and parenting.

They want the parents to take their kids to a doctor and have them sign a consent to allow them to tan. A 3rd person! Not only that, but what doctor is going to say it's ok? Certainly not any of the doctors I work with.

The same doctors that agree with someones personal diagnosis that they need every pain medication under the sun. For a $25 co-pay of course.

Anyone ever notice that big flaming ball of gas is the sky? I hear it'll give a pretty good tan. You don't need permission to use it either. At least until the government figures out a way to tax it.

Just to clarify... I'm not trying to be a smartass with the post above. The point is that why would government involve itself in a service that you can get naturally for free anytime you want?

Its the governments solution to helping parents who dont know how to be parents...we all know the type...not saying its right..But who's going to start the initiative? we know who should, but lets face it there are alot out there that dont which screws others that act like parents. it sucks

Try sun tanning in your backyard, or on "tar beach" (flat roof usually on multiple family dwellings, as in the song "Up On The Roof") when the temperature drops below 30 degrees. THAT remains unregulated, and unregulateable.

Meh, why not just ban it until they are 18 a la smoking, alcohol (21, thanks feds), etc. Besides, this is just just deserts to everyone who wants socialized (free) health care.