New Nremt Names?

UMSTUDENT

A co-worker told me on shift change the other day that he received a newsletter from the NREMT stating that they'll be implementing new name and descriptions for the different certification levels this year.

Most of what he said seemed to follow the recommendations from the National Scope of Practice project, but he did mention that they're changing the name of the NREMT-P to something like a "Nationally Certified Paramedic-NCP," or something of the sorts. The name "Emergency Medical Technician" will be removed from the title and all paramedics will simply be called "paramedics."

Has anyone else received this newsletter? It seems to be off and on among people I work with about whether or not they received it.

Thanks.

Yeah. I'm not sure how I feel about it but here are the new levels:

First Responder will become "Emergency Medical Responder" (EMR). I guess these will be trained in AED, BP measurement, oxygen therapy, some splinting stuff etc in addition to the current skills.

EMT-Basic will now be called just "Emergency Medical Technician" (EMT). There are minor changes here including adding ASA, pulse ox, transport vents, and a few other small things.

EMT-Intermediate/85 will become "Advanced EMT" (AEMT). I guess if you want to start at this level it is going to be about 150-250 hours of training. It looks like this group will maintain the same skills that the I/85s already have, except now those skills will be specifically tested by the NREMT.

EMT-Intermediate/99 is now "Paramedic." My understanding is that the NREMT wants to bridge these providers over to the Paramedic level by authorizing classroom instruction to cover the missing material. NREMT says this transition may be made without clinicals or field internships, although it says in the newsletter that "the gap of material between the I/99 and Paramedic levels hasn't yet been identified." It doesn't seem like this idea is completely fleshed out yet.

Paramedics will now be called simply "Paramedics" instead of "EMT-Paramedics"

Meh.

Now would be a good time for some group to move in and establish a national board for paramedics, independent of EMTs, leaving the NR to sit and play with their basics. That's where the real money is for them anyhow, so I doubt they'd miss us. Anyhow, just like LVNs and RNs have separate boards, this is an inevitable part of our professional growth, to separate the professionals from the techs.

Thank god for the NR. They fixed so many problems that plaqued EMS that the most pressing concern is a name change! And its a good thing too, otherwise someone might think this was a pretty assinine idea.

Not really the NREMT making these changes. If you have been keeping up with the National SOP changes, you would know that this is being implemented at the national level. NREMT is simply changing their levels to reflect the new changes.

These changes are also covered in the following thread:

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php?showtopic=13921&hl=

Take care,

chbare.

Thank god for the NR. They fixed so many problems that plaqued EMS that the most pressing concern is a name change! And its a good thing too, otherwise someone might think this was a pretty assinine idea.

Wow! A well informed medic. Hmm let's see first this is NOT the NREMT idea and this name change idea has been disussed for over three years in occurrence to the new NHTSA curriculum. (Didn't know about that one either?)

Be informed and keep up, and better yet be accurate.

R/r 911

Good point CHB. NR takes a lot of heat for initiatives that were not of their doing. They don't do a lot of actual policy making. They're just a central clearinghouse for policies that are left to multiple committees of "experts" to come up with. Policies set by NR are a reflection of the consensus recommendations of committees and groups like NAEMSE and NAEMSP. And if you aren't involved in dialogue with those groups to express your concerns, you really have very little room to gripe.

A co-worker told me on shift change the other day that he received a newsletter from the NREMT stating that they'll be implementing new name and descriptions for the different certification levels this year.

Most of what he said seemed to follow the recommendations from the National Scope of Practice project, but he did mention that they're changing the name of the NREMT-P to something like a "Nationally Certified Paramedic-NCP," or something of the sorts. The name "Emergency Medical Technician" will be removed from the title and all paramedics will simply be called "paramedics."

Has anyone else received this newsletter? It seems to be off and on among people I work with about whether or not they received it.

Thanks.

You can read it for your self at www.nremt.org under news letter 2009.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.