Paramedic Accused of Beating Patient

Krysteen

Any comments on how one would handle this? Say this was your patient who wiggled out of your restraints, and began to become a danger to you and themself. What would you do?

I have had patients get loose from restraints. In a mental state such as coming out of seizure people have unusual strength plus they feel no pain and can dislocate bones to pull free. As soon as they start trying to get loose I would sedate but not all services allow that. If not allowed immediatly get backup on the way and get your partner in the back to help hold them down while restrain again.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didnt say they were broken it just said they werent on. So did the medic take them off or were they broken? Were they even applied in the first place? It didnt say even that the leg restraints were in place at all just that they were off.

She implied that they were on when she said escape was impossible. But yes maybe the medic started to release the patient and then the patient attacked him. Or maybe he started acting weird and the medic decided to try and restrain but was to late and ended up fighting for his life.

She implied that they were on when she said escape was impossible. But yes maybe the medic started to release the patient and then the patient attacked him. Or maybe he started acting weird and the medic decided to try and restrain but was to late and ended up fighting for his life.

Maybe if a frog had wings it wouldnt bump its ass when it hopped. But we can do this all day go back and forth but in the end it will not matter our profession will have a black eye. Either that of a liar or abuser. But I would like to know what really happened on the back of that truck. What was the reason for all this there never is mention to that the medic is the only one with the answers and I am sure that he can't talk about it.

Maybe if a frog had wings it wouldnt bump its ass when it hopped. But we can do this all day go back and forth but in the end it will not matter our profession will have a black eye. Either that of a liar or abuser. But I would like to know what really happened on the back of that truck. What was the reason for all this there never is mention to that the medic is the only one with the answers and I am sure that he can't talk about it.

Maybe this is another arguement for video being placed in the patient compartment.

Maybe in the end thats what this will come to. If there were cameras none of this would be in question.

Or It might have made it worse..

Senerio here if this story happened and it was on tape and it was abuse not self defense would it ever get played or would it be pushed under the rug and no one ever know?

I too have been looking. Only found additional info that the female medic also stated she heard what sounded like punching coming from the back. I think when the 30+ page documentation from Denver Health is released we will hear more. I will check when I have a chance. Sounds like it could be a long ordeal. It did take them about a month to arrest him.

It has it place but then again if he is guilty what is that going to do to the profession? Tapes get lost erased and destroyed unless its a live feed. How would you over come that problem? I would like to have a follow up on this story. I havent had any luck finding any so if anyone in Denver can please let me know. EYDAWN can you add anything to this?

But if guilty I want him punished severly over and above what he did to the patient. There would have to be some law in place to maintain in a secure place all recordings. Maybe require it to be automatically fed to two independat labs for storage plus a copy at the service for review.

Eyedawn and you other snow people what really happened?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.