Paramedic Accused of Beating Patient

Krysteen

Per my brother who is currently in the Denver Health run EMT course and what he's heard from his instructors, the two parties involved have had their certs suspended and his instructors refuse to name names, but there was definitely some very questionable stuff that happened and people are FURIOUS about it.

According to what my brother has heard, the patient was documented ENTERING the ambulance with minor bruising and typical seizure injuries, and exited the ambulance with broken bones and severe bruising.

My brother also says that as far as he's heard, the Pt was not restrained, but showed up to the ER with a C-collar on (unknown about backboard) and broken bones.

Sorry it took me so long, I didn't even see this thread until this morning, I've had a lot on my plate lately. My brother says he'll keep me updated and I'll pass along everything I can find out.

As far as I'm concerned, your partner should never fear that you're abusing a patient in the back, even when they can't see everything. And if you think something weird is going on, you PULL THE HELL OVER and get in there to see WTF is going on. This is ludicrous.

Possible reasons for broken bones: Pt was combative after being post-ictal, was restrained, seized violently causing injuries. Pt was combative after being post-ictal, was restrained, fought violently and during the course of trying to subdue the patient, the Pt was injured. Pt was combative, excessive force was used, and the paramedic abused the patient, resulting in severe injury.

Who knows which version is the truth? But something's definitely off here.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Enough time has passed, I can probably get more on the lowdown from inside. Stay tuned.

Steve

www.theemtspot.com

Steve I checked out that link but i couldnt find anything on the story. (or was that way of plugging your webpage :angry: )

The link below my name was my website. If that's a rule break I will stop doing it.

Its allowed in your signature line... (nice site btw ;) )

OK, this info comes from nobody in particular.

The medic has several similar previous complaints from partners and patients.

The patient was a post-ictal siezure.

Patient was not notably injured when they left the scene.

The patient was fully restrained when they left the scene.

The medic reports that the patient slipped the restraints enroute to the ER and he requested help from his partner and PD.

DG restraints are tough to slip.

Partner states that the medic delivered an inappropriate beat down on the patient.

DPD reports the patient was back in restraints when he arrived and he did not render help.

Medic reports that DPD gave the patient the beat down.

That's all anyone's giving up.

Steve

Its allowed in your signature line... (nice site btw ;) )

Thanks you itku2er. I'll fix it. Thanks for looking out for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.