Questions for Florida based providers

emt217

I'm originally from Broward County, and you won't run 911 without a fire cert over there. Here in Lee County (the fort myers area) you will get the best job available.

Progressive protocols

Great continuing education opportunities

great pay

Best pension

etc...

Collier County (naples) also provides 3rd service. We won't be hiring this year though. Check the site for changes. Lee-ems.com

I will likely be moving to Ft. Lauderdale in May, from Wake Co. NC. My other half got laid off up here and we are thinking of moving down there for him to work for Citrix Systems (he is tech guy). The catholic university in Miami has a good nursing program for me.

I have been checking out paramedic jobs down there, it looks like Medics Ambulance Services runs ALS, BLS, and wheelchair. I can't figure out who does 911 ALS service down there. I could probably get hired as an ER Tech at Broward Health Hospitals, but it really isn't ideal for me. I emailed Medics, but they have not responded. I have been paramedic for 7 months, so still want some good call volume. Is anyone more familiar with this area?

If you're going from Wake co. to Broward you will need to have a frontal lobotomy to qualify. Protocol drones are quite abundant. Just joking. You have a few that are quite good medics over there, don't get me wrong.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reviewing these sites for paramedic positions down there. Apparently you have to sign an affidavit for the application, saying that you do not smoke cigarettes and have not smoked them for the past year. What the heck is up with that?

Apparently you have to sign an affidavit for the application, saying that you do not smoke cigarettes and have not smoked them for the past year. What the heck is up with that?

Wow! One year? That's pretty lenient!

The smoking thing is only for fire departments.

The firefighter heart and lung act (I think it's called) requires you to be tobacco free for one year. This is because if you acquire a chronic illness that can be linked to your job it will be considered to be caused by your job. You will be medically covered for life. At least that is what I was told.

Really? So what is their reasoning behind it? Physical agility? Personal/psychological weakness?

The smoking thing is only for fire departments.

This is a statewide effort that affects healthcare and many other industries.

You will also have to sign this statement and pass a nicotine test at many of the hospitals. They are no longer tolerant of smokers. If you smoke, don't bother applying at many of the facilities, FDs or EMS agencies. Current employees are encouraged to go through smoking cessation programs.

Edited by VentMedic

Really? So what is their reasoning behind it? Physical agility? Personal/psychological weakness?

Yes. Not to mention that 'no smoking on duty' policies never work, because no smoker has the discipline to adhere to the policy. So you end up with people in your vehicles, on your property, and wearing your uniform in public engaging in a habit that three-quarters of the American population finds disgusting, and stinking up their uniform in the process.

And employers can get better insurance rates if they have an non smoking workforce too.

This is a statewide effort that affects healthcare and many other industries.

You will also have to sign this statement and pass a nicotine test at many of the hospitals. They are no longer tolerant of smokers. If you smoke, don't bother applying at many of the facilities, FDs or EMS agencies. Current employees are encouraged to go through smoking cessation programs.

We currently do not although I think it is a good idea. Why not set a good example? I don't know how people in our profession can smoke after seeing a COPD-er. Then again, we tell everyone to call at first sign of symptoms but we are more likely to get "DNR" tattoo'd to our chests than call we we need help. Well some of us at least.

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.