Doctor loses license in live abortion case

cynical_as_hell

Perhaps I should simplify my question.

The prolife position is:

Killing a human being is committing homicide.

But a fetus is a human being.

Therefore, killing a fetus is committing homicide.

But we also hold responsible those adults on whom others - such as children, the injured, the infirm - are dependent. That is, we disarm and prosecute not only those who actively kill or injure, but also those who passively kill or injure by means of neglecting the needs of those whose welfare depends on them.

The proposed Tennessee law I cited above extends to fetal life legal protections currently afforded only to post-natal human beings.

At present there are hordes of mandated reporters in children's lives who are charged with initiating investigations of caregivers who are suspected of failing to provide proper care. My question is: Do we want to ensure that fetuses are being kept not only alive, but also well, such as through adequate nutrition? Do we want maternal folate checks? Nicotine and alcohol tests? Is she eating a balanced diet and getting enough rest?

Reported suspected child abuse dispatches an investigator to your door; do we want one dispatched to your womb?

If not, why not?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Dust, I tip my hat to your stated willingness to live with the full consequences of the risks you take and seem to encourage others taking. If my recollection is sound, you've expressed no tolerance for smokers. I don't know your stance on dangerous sports or gambling, but I can't see how anyone can fault you for accepting that when recreation unexpectedly becomes procreation, it's, as the saying goes, your baby. :o

What if we all lived by the Laws of Robotics?

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law

Think about that for a couple of days and I will get back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to have to disagree with the Brazilian bishop. That 9 year old girl would have died. Self-defense, even according to Dust.

This is one arena I fail to defer to the Church in...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Okay. So, at barely 14 yo I got an abortion after being raped by an adult from the church we belonged to. My parents made this decision after meeting with the 'Woman doctor' I had been seeing since 10yo (onsent of menses). I have a congenital defect that has rendered my uterus useless. The ectopic pregnancy would have killed me had my parents not made the decision they did. So, we will burn in hell for this decision. But we will have plenty of company. I own the decisions I have a hand in. How about you? I am surprised at how pious many of you are. It must be nice being better than everyone else. Isn't perfection a pain in the #@! to maintain?

I am surprised at how pious many of you are. It must be nice being better than everyone else. Isn't perfection a pain in the #@! to maintain?

Sorry, but I must have miss the post that condemned abortion in the case of imminent threat to the physical health of the mother. Are you sure there was such a post? I'm about the most pious poster in the thread, and I certainly never said any such thing.