Crisis in the Sky MedEvac Helicopter Crashes Deaths Escalate

spenac

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears as though HEMS incidents are becoming an epidemic on your side of the border Spenac. Corporate greed is costing good people their lives needlessly. One thing I can say about flight paramedicine in BC is that our centralized dispatch has saved lives. Since the inception of the provincial service in 1974 there has been one air incident total. It took the lives of two ITT paramedics (ALS for paediatrics/obstetrics), one physician, and two pilots. The Learjet went down at sea and none of them where seen again. Hopefully better regulation regarding safety standards is forthcoming for you folks. It's really disheartening to see good people lost for no reason.

Cenrtalized dispatch seems to be a good idea. In fact the crap that is EMS in Jersey they actually have a centralized dispatch. Might be the only good example you can find in Jersey. Something has to happen. I have seen way to often the hospitals call one after the other until one agrees to fly in bad conditions. Plus you see subtle bribes in little gifts left with the nurses and with EMS so they hope you will call them first. Changes must happen. Helicoptors are not needed in probably more than 50% of the calls they fly much like ground ambulances are actually not needed in 90% of the calls they run. This goes back to the need to do away with the you call we haul mentality.

Cenrtalized dispatch seems to be a good idea. In fact the crap that is EMS in Jersey they actually have a centralized dispatch. Might be the only good example you can find in Jersey. Something has to happen. I have seen way to often the hospitals call one after the other until one agrees to fly in bad conditions. Plus you see subtle bribes in little gifts left with the nurses and with EMS so they hope you will call them first. Changes must happen. Helicoptors are not needed in probably more than 50% of the calls they fly much like ground ambulances are actually not needed in 90% of the calls they run. This goes back to the need to do away with the you call we haul mentality.

Yes, that is the only bright spot in NJ. REMCS (operated by UMDNJ in Newark) dispatches ALL helicopters in the State of New Jersey.

Don't let the REMCS system fool you. It is inefficient and dysfunctional. What's more, they interfere and meddle in areas which should be outside their sphere of interest.

Now, if it was operated with no bias towards any program and dispatch was handled with the best interest of the patient in mind, it might work. It's current incarnation, however, leaves everything to be desired as it is almost completely worthless.

-be safe

Now, if it was operated with no bias towards any program and dispatch was handled with the best interest of the patient in mind, it might work. It's current incarnation, however, leaves everything to be desired as it is almost completely worthless.

That's precisely why it works in BC. BC Ambulance (an agency of the provincial government) is the sole provider of HEMS in the province. On occasion STARS, a non-profit out of Alberta, will provide services in communities closer to Calgary or Edmonton than Vancouver. There is no favourtism because there is only one provider. Sometimes safety and service effectiveness are more important than having wide open free enterprise. As far as I'm concerned HEMS is one of those services.

Its all about PR. Theyre flying billboards. We call em 'The dash for cash'. I have more pens, stickers and candy lying around from these guys than I know what to do with. A local flying service had an opening for an RN. Few applied but only one had the experience, knowledge and training to do the job. Unfortunatley she was a little on the thick side. She lost the job to another nurse with a nice figure with half the experience. As a matter of fact, the nurse that got hired was working in marketing when she was hired. But hey, she looks better in a fligt suit (now graces the pamphlet covers and posters of said service) and in the end, PR is what matters most. No flights = no cash.

Its all about PR. Theyre flying billboards. We call em 'The dash for cash'. I have more pens, stickers and candy lying around from these guys than I know what to do with. A local flying service had an opening for an RN. Few applied but only one had the experience, knowledge and training to do the job. Unfortunatley she was a little on the thick side. She lost the job to another nurse with a nice figure with half the experience. As a matter of fact, the nurse that got hired was working in marketing when she was hired. But hey, she looks better in a fligt suit (now graces the pamphlet covers and posters of said service) and in the end, PR is what matters most. No flights = no cash.

While this may be true for some, it is not true of most. And, even if it is or not, imagine the problems we have finding qualified flight Paramedics. Finding one that has both education and a decent appearance can be a stretch. Out of 200 applicants, 10 might meet the minimum qualifications for education and be fit enough to get into a helicopter.

As for the nurse who is a little on the thick side, she should have known the fitness and weight requirements before she applied. This is not necessarily a beauty contest and these requirements are in place for safety reasons.

She did know and did meet the physical requirments. Brand 'x' just looked better in a flight suit. When nurse 'a' asked why she didnt get the job she was told it was because, 'nurse x has the goods'. i this case, it was a PR move plain and simple. Ive worked with both of these women and i can tell you straight up, it was all about the looks. Brand 'x' even had a recent boob job prior to being hired. At the time this all happened we had 4 HEMS services in this part of the state. we now have 3.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.