Should we go back to Drivers ?

Texas has an emergency variance where you can only have 1 medical professional and just a driver. Sadly it is supposed to be temporary but many volunteer groups and some paid services use it to avoid doing what would solve their "shortage" that is pay a liveable wage. Almost every service where they have a "shortage" you can pull up that countys certified and you will find tons of people certified. They just are not willing to work free or for basically free.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are that maybe we should go back to just having "drivers" on the ambulance, maybe with an EMTI or Paramedic partner.

Have you been peeking in the windows of my POC station?

As much as it sucks, it's infinitely better than responding alone. Trust me.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/02...98722215047.txt

Short-staffed Heyworth ambulance service seeks waiver

HEYWORTH — Short-staffed until tax money starts flowing, the Heyworth Ambulance Service has asked the Illinois Department of Public Health for a one-year waiver to run with fewer than the required emergency medical technicians.

The waiver would allow the service to have only one EMT and a driver per run instead of two EMTs, as required by state law. It would tide the currently all-volunteer service over until it can use money from a new tax to pay salaries for the first time.

Having the waiver allows one EMT and a driver to respond, assess and start treatment without further delay in patient care,” said Judy Mowery, captain of the service.

She said she expects to learn within two weeks whether the waiver has been granted.

Voters in February 2008 approved creating an ambulance service tax through the Randolph Township Fire District. However, ambulance service officials do not expect to receive any tax money until mid- to late 2009.

The tax rate, which cannot exceed 0.30 percent of the equalized assessed valuation of all property in the district, is expected to cost the owner of a $150,000 house about $150 per year. It previously was projected to bring in about $150,000 a year for the service.

The IDPH granted a waiver that allowed the service to go with one EMT and a driver per run for 2008, and the village of Heyworth contributed $26,000 toward compensating the EMTs who respond on calls.

Even with that financial incentive, it is hard to recruit EMTs to staff the service during daytime hours, Mowery said. That is a common problem for rural fire and ambulance services because residents often are out of town at work in nearby communities.

“In a small rural community such as ours, the fire department and the ambulance service share volunteers,” she said. “In the event of a structure fire or a motor vehicle accident which requires both agencies to respond with the other, manning a second ambulance with two EMTs will sometimes become a potential problem.”

The service uses 13 EMTs, eight drivers, a student EMT and two others.

Mowery said the service often responds with two EMTs, meaning the service does not always have to rely on the waiver. However, if the waiver would help maintain the service’s compliance with state regulations, she said.

In addition, mutual aid agreements are in place with neighboring communities that can respond to assist ambulance crews, Mowery said.

Mowery said the service still needs volunteers. Anyone interested in more information can call (309) 473-2078.

With the exception of specialty transports I've worked with, the services which have utilized "drivers" were absolute disasters. Most of them were 18-21 year old people that couldn't pass the national registry so in an attempt to give them something to do they gave these people with no drivers training the keys to basically an assault vehicle and told them happy trails. Well the end result was multiple wrecked trucks due to these yahoos going out of control sirens screaming on the worst of roads with the concept I'm bigger than you, therefore you must move or I'll make you move. After two wrecks, I got the heck out vowing never to return to concept again. I feel safe in the set up I have been in for several years - 25 to drive and extensive drivers training prior to being cut loose with 6 month hold time before you can even qualify to drive. Also, regular evaluations of driving records which so many employers seem to so kindly forget. Yeah, that's smart.

Kentucky has resolved this problem a bit though by requiring the minimum requirement of certification for a driver to be a first responder for a BLS ambulance and my understanding is that may be increased. A majority of services here though are going to dual paramedics, if ALS unless very rural. It is really only the transfer services or BLS only counties which are utilizing this but they pay nothing anyway (minimum wage mostly or just above) so cost saving really isn't a benefit.

I'm not seeing the benefit to a driver only category unless as dust said, they receive a commercial driver's license and then you will see a demand for higher pay. Not a solution, but creating another problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.