How to get a head start?

volcom3949

Hi everyone. I will be starting EMT-B cert class in couple of months to just have the knowledge for myself. I know NOTHING about medical or the terminology. My question is, does anyone know of a good EMT-B guideline that will get me a head start and start learning on my own before the actual class? I like to be prepared as much as possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would start pre-reading my textbook right away (go find out what it's going to be and buy it online). Then, you'll have more of a big picture view while learning things in class.

You can also play around on EMTB.com, but that's more for reinforcing what you've read in the book already.

Many of the old vets here wll tell you to get college education first ;-)

It would seem that basic training is much easier than paramedic, so if the studies kick your butt there, but you still ENJOY the subject matter, you might want to consider an AS program when taking full medic school... to help get the anatomical and chem studies included. There are plenty of textbooks out there on necessary subject matter, so pick up some used copies off Ebay and plan on doing a LOT of reading. Thing is, often the assumption is made (for full paramedic school) that you've already had your basic sciences in high school (physics, bio, chem). Without that ground floor at a minimum, you may be in for some pain if you go for the advanced level of EMT.

Good for you for being so eager. Take a look at the governing body in your local area and look up what the scope is for the level of training you are going to be going to school for. From there you will be able to see the list of things you are going to be expected to know once you are done school and from there you can start searching the web for information. Lots of books available as well but the web is going to be your best bet.

Good luck :)

There are several good programmed learning medical terminology books available. Get one and finish it before you start class and that will be the biggest possible head start you can get before class. Don't know when your class starts, or even if you are in hurry to start, but if you have the time to wait, you'll get 500 percent more out of the class if you have already taken college Anatomy & Physiology first. And, as always, any school that doesn't require both A&P and Med Term -- and a pre-test in both subjects -- before admission sucks, so beware.

Good luck!