stat lock IV securing devices

At our hospital, we have IV start kits that include Stat-Locks in the kits. They protect the iv from getting pulled in the event of a dropped IV bag or a over-active patient.

Has anyone used these devices before?

I personally love them and think they should be standard equipment on all IV starts.

The only drawback is the removal, you have to have alcohol swabs to remove them, the alcohol dissolves the adheasive of the statlock.

Anyone else feel they are as good as I feel they are?

At our hospital, we have IV start kits that include Stat-Locks in the kits. They protect the iv from getting pulled in the event of a dropped IV bag or a over-active patient.

Has anyone used these devices before?

I personally love them and think they should be standard equipment on all IV starts.

The only drawback is the removal, you have to have alcohol swabs to remove them, the alcohol dissolves the adheasive of the statlock.

Anyone else feel they are as good as I feel they are?

We had them at one service I worked. I love them and wish everyone would carry them. I have tried to get them here, but they cost more, so it's an up hill battle on that front!

We had them at one service I worked. I love them and wish everyone would carry them. I have tried to get them here, but they cost more, so it's an up hill battle on that front!

This link here http://www.statlock.com/cost_benefit.html should be all you need to prove the cost-benefit analysis for your management.

We use a similar device on PICC patients. There ok, down side being it’s very hard to remove the statlock sticky thing and the IV3000 dressing with out moving the PICC. We normally use 2 staff, one places there finger over the PICC site to keep the line in situ while the other removes the dressings and statlock. Sometimes it’s hard to remove the clip things to remove the line from the holder.

It doesn’t work well with bodily fluids, like most sticky things wet surfaces are your worse night mare. My thoughts would be it’s a bit fiddly to use on a trauma pt, your better off using transpore tape or something like that to secure the line in a hurry and worry about neatening it all up when there stable.

It works the same way as a cardiac monitor on a bloody patient. Wipe off the blood and then use the adhesive prep pads to prep the site.

Wiping the blood off the iv site area takes no more than 2-3 seconds at least in my opinion. Once the device is on the patient you'll be hard pressed to get it off without alcohol.

I do know that blood does not remove the sticky glue, just alcohol. But that begs an important question, a really drunk patient who bleeds on the stat lock adhesive area might just be able to remove that stat lock if their alcohol level is high enough. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.