Forget the Advanced Practice Paramedics- I want the CAR!!!

CBEMT

I agree, I'll also take the car. Does anyone have ay further details on this? From the article it sounds to me like it may just be a program of finding the competent paramedics and putting them on a response car instead of an ambulance.

Here in the state of Connecticut every State Trooper upon graduation from the police academy is issued their own police interceptor. They keep this vehicle 24/7 as if it were their own POV and yes can even utilize it as such (including driving family around). The only catches are they can not drive out of state with it, and they are on call 24/7 no matter where in state they are or if off duty. Its been this way for a while... and many years later we finally have a govoner who was smart and said they gatta pay for some of the gas. Even the auxillary troopers (volunteer/not paid) are issued an interceptor.

• 3 weeks later...

Smart car. We have been single responding for years in the UK. At first it was to get ALS care to the patients side quickly. You know, get the best medics on them, giving the patients quality care before a truck arrived. Now all they are used as are clock stoppers. Our lot couldn't give a toss whether it was a paramedic or a garbage man driving it so long as it had a defib on board and stopped that wonderful clock in under 8 minutes!

Smart car. We have been single responding for years in the UK. At first it was to get ALS care to the patients side quickly. You know, get the best medics on them, giving the patients quality care before a truck arrived. Now all they are used as are clock stoppers. Our lot couldn't give a toss whether it was a paramedic or a garbage man driving it so long as it had a defib on board and stopped that wonderful clock in under 8 minutes!

Anything to make us look good on paper come budget time, who cares about the patients? :roll:

It is sad that is the attitude of those in power in most places.

Why do you think that my fellow hose jockies are trying to take over? Yea sure ultimatley they are trying to capitalise on the great income potential from cost of services rendered that we as strictly EMS dont see. But they can also do it while operating vehicles that dont just look like cargo vans and cop cars... so maybe because they do it in a fire truck then it means they care?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.