Is EMS Recession Proof ?????

Has your service felt the recession yet -- Any cut-backs ?  

26 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be the only one here who doesn't think that AMR will shut it's doors. Downsize dramatically, yes, but close it's doors, I don't think so. First off I think that the northeast u.s. division is doomed, they have been from the start. Western division should be fine. If you remember, AMR is owned by Laidlaw. Laidlaw is a Canadian company. I know the Canadian economy is suffering as well, but it's my understanding that it is still doing better than ours. I could be wrong, maybe some of your Canadian members would like to chime in on that. If AMR REALLY wants to stay in this for the long haul, they will find finacial backers in Canada, and they will survive.

You may be right, my thoughts are that is has been a money loser for Laidlaw for many years, at some point you have to say enough is enough and either sell it off or shut it down. My guess is that they will try to break it up into smaller sections and sell, but i am not sure any bank would loan money for that kind of purchase (anywhere in the world).

P.S.: And its really not about profit and loss or call volume -- its just that big companies like that have to rely on credit lines to meet payroll, and those lines are drying up.

• 1 month later...

Come join me as I hold an open discussion regarding EMS and the current financial climate. Is the EMS industry recession proof? What challenges does the industry face and what can providers at all levels do to help secure their jobs and future?

Have you seen any changes in your organization due to the current financial climate?

This Thursday March 12, 2009at 2030 (8:30 PM) EST

I am having another open forum call in radio show to discuss just this.

Come join me and have your voice heard, share your ideas or opinions.

You don't need to be some finance wizard. I certainly am not.

Just click the link below and bookmark the page. Then on Thursday come visit and

join in or even just listen to the discussion.

I hope to see you there.

http://blogtalkradio.com/emss

While you're there take a listen to some past episodes or download them to your

computer or Ipod.

Jim

PS - If you want to be a featured contributor, drop me a PM.

• 4 weeks later...

Understand nothing is recession proof. I look for it to be much harder on private services than public. We're already seeing the start of the cuts, and it won't be until we are gone that they realize how badly we are needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.