Is Having More Ambulances The Solution?

JaxSage

A City Has A Lack of EMS Coverage. How Would You Solve That Problem?  

22 members have voted

1. 1.

• Petition city officials for additional funding for more ambulances
    • Rely on good ol' fashion mutual aid
    • Allow 911 operators to refuse dispatching a unit if necessary
    • Have 911 operators prioritize EMS calls
    • Allow EMS personnel to refuse anyone transport if one isn't needed
    • Have EMS personnel drop off non-critical patients at the main entrance and then leave
    • Just suck it up and deal with it!

JaxSage,

I can understand your concern for privacy. So, rather than providing a link to your protocols, which might reveal where you work, why not just cut and paste the protocol and post it? You started this discussion on transport refusals, and since nearly everyone on this forum works in systems where that is not allowed, we are all curious to see how your protocol is written.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your overly cocky attitude has warranted most of my comments. That included your reply to my concern about the use of ammonia inhalants on an incarcerated patient.

I didn't mean to come across as cocky or arrogant. If I did, I apologize. It wasn't my intention.

That article did make news. That county is the only other county besides mine in NC where EMS is allowed to refuse transport. I probably have as many questions as you concerning that call. Since he was 17, he should have been taken to the hospital regardless unless he was emancipated. Like I said, there are drawbacks to allowing medics to refuse transport and as I said a few times already, people have misused that authority. But remember, we don't know the whole story, and I don't even know the whole story. So, rather than make any sort of judgment, I think it'll be fair to look out for any updates concerning this call so that we could get both sides of the story. Who knows, perhaps the medics were careless and lazy in that case.

Jaxsage, As a provider that does have right to refuse I have to say the examples you have provided do not give me much comfort in your ability to properly decide which patients should be transported. Some items you mention such as ammonia inhalants in your example was abuse, even if faking.

Did you transport the kid after he admitted it was a fight rather than a bite? Honestly a fight is more reason to transport than a bite as many injurys do not show up immediately after a fight.

Just saying the way you are presenting the ability to choose right is not coming out very well. I have the right to deny but honestly it is not used often because as others have chastised you there are way to many variables. And as to common sense yes common sense says the guy that just wants a ride the 90 miles to our nearest hospital for lunch should be denied, but if you search my topics when I brought up denying him others brought up many possible reasons he possibly should be transported. Will I continue to deny some callers? Yes, but with the input I have gotten here from other professionals, I take that responsibility much more seriously.

Just wanting the questions answered so bumping.

Spenac wrote, "Just wanting the questions answered so bumping."

I second that. Too many unanswered questions here.

Yeah, I'm sure this was all so simple to Jax until people here started asking questions, making him take an intelligent look at his "protocols", instead of just accepting things the way they've always been. Funny how that works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.