MD cty comissioners need explanation of 2-person ambulances

CBEMT

We don't often get the chance for a good reply from the person in question, but half-way down is a comment from the commissioner that says:

Hello. Commissoner Hagen here, making an effort to communicate, in spite of having the "IQ of an azalea bush."

Frankly, I find this extended discussion (and all the ridicule, and attacks) to be somewhat out of line, and certainly not productive - at least insofar as one simple question was misinterpreted, taken out of context, and assumed to be more and different than it was.

I certainly wasn't suggesting anything, or advocating for anything. I asked one basic question, out of curiosity, which was whether or not it was ABSOLUTELY necessary, legally and otherwise, in ANY and ALL circumstances, for there to be a second person on hand in order to consider ANY sort of transportation, for ANY reason.

That was nothing more than that: A quick and basic question, in the flow of a broader conversation. Not a comment about policy or, in any way, a recommendation. It doesn't speak well of some others (mostly anonymous, at that) to see the sort of responses posted here (and elsewhere, as well, I suppose).

In the first two years of my first term as a commissioner, I have learned a great deal about the fire and rescue services in the county. I have read a great deal, spoken with a lot of people (and met with anyone who asked), gone on ride-alongs, attended meetings and dinners (career and volunteer-hosted), etc.

Overall, I would say that I have been very supportive of the career staff, while also trying to be supportive of the many volunteers in the county, too. And, throughout, recognizing and trying to understand and address the challenges and stresses inherent in a situation where the county is growing and things have been (and still are) changing rapidly.

If you review my voting history over the last two budgets, for instance, I think you will see that I've been at least as supportive as any of the five commissioners in trying to address and meet the needs of our expanding personnel (which is just one part of the broader equation, of course.)

If one simple comment or question negates all of that, one has to wonder.

kai

Whole thing still makes me shake my head.

I'm not sure what it's like now, but 15 years ago I did a ride-a-long with the EMS Service in Auckland, New Zealand. The city population was just under one million and they had 65 ambulances. Nine of these ambulances were two person ALS crews, the remainder were single person BLS units. They would go around picking up clients and transport them to the hospital by themselves. If they needed ALS intervention, the BLS driver would call for backup from the ALS crew.

Nine of these ambulances were two person ALS crews, the remainder were single person BLS units. They would go around picking up clients and transport them to the hospital by themselves. If they needed ALS intervention, the BLS driver would call for backup from the ALS crew.

The only problem I have with that equation is that the "BLS" units don't need to be EMS ambulances at all. Call a taxi or handivan if you don't need advanced medical care. But every EMS ambulance should have two advanced providers on board. Utilise those ambulances properly and wisely, and you won't need near as many of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.