Bodies

jordanfstop

While I agree with you it is inappropriate to take a car out of service to move a body sometimes you don't have a choice. In some of these small isolated communities the only vehicle capable of moving a corpse appropriately (within a range of 2 hours or more) is an ambulance. We don't do it often. Maybe 2-3 times a year total. It's hard for a community to justify a transport vehicle for 2-3 transports a year. The other thing to keep in mind is that a second car remains available during that time.

There is no funeral home closer than two hours away? Dang, I would like to open up the first one. I'd be rich!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no funeral home closer than two hours away? Dang, I would like to open up the first one. I'd be rich!

It's a beautiful area. Your welcome to come out. Maybe retire and become a mortician? :D

Maybe I should make something clear. We do have a second car if really needed but it isn't always available because it is the island spare. It is in service when the other ones are in the shop. And to tell you the truth I really don't mind the body removal as I live in a Native community and I know the customs so I have the ability of not offending the family. It may not seem like a big thing to those who are not connected to community as closely as you are in small towns. I think in BC there are only 2 area's that ask the ambulance to transport the dead ones. The Charlottes and a small community on Vancouver Island. There are just sometimes when geographics don't fit the policies.

I don't have any philosophical, moral, or humanitarian problem with moving bodies. I am just opposed to the misutilisation of EMS resources. Is there really no funeral home closer than two hours to your town? If not, where the heck do you move the bodies to?

Dust not only is it more than 2 hrs away it is a 1.5 hr to the ferry, the ferry is 8hrs to 2 days and then you drive another 2 to get to the closest town that has a funeral home. the only ones that do this are the ones that are going to be cremated. If a autopsy is required they are flown to Vancouver and then back. If no autopsy they stay in our morgue until the service.

Oh, I didn't realise you were in BC. Bummer.

So, what do the morgue people drive? If they are provided with a vehicle, and it is incapable of hauling a body, someone is a dumbass.

Just load body in somebodys pickup. That would leave ambulance free and get body where it needs.

Sounds crude, but if the back of a pick-up is good enough for living people, it's good enough for dead people.

Oh, I didn't realise you were in BC. Bummer.

So, what do the morgue people drive? If they are provided with a vehicle, and it is incapable of hauling a body, someone is a dumbass.

In the small isolated place there are no morgue attendants. Only places with a coroner have morgue attendants. It is just a small locked cooler at the hospital. That's what we have here in Lillooet BC anyways.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.