Questions about courses and the NREMT

Red_Dragon

The community college may be the cheapest to get EMT-B. If you are in CA, it is $20/credit hour for maybe a max of 8 semester credit hours. At a private "mill" it is $1000 - $2000 for a mere 110 clock hours. The other advantage of a community college that also offers the Paramedc, you will have your foot in the door. Those EMT-B college credits may also be applied to a degree.

Note: there is a difference between clock hour of training and semester (or quarter) credit hours of education.

While you are taking the EMT-B class or waiting to start the Paramedic program, you will be able to take other college classes. You can check with the college to see if CPR is required at entry or if they provide the card. If it is required they may have a list of providers and may even offer it in their healthcare continuing education section at a reasonable price.

Also, you can pop into the college's library to read some EMS journals and textbooks to get an idea of what EMS is all about.

Surf up your state's EMS website for an idea of the steps to certification. The website may also have a list of schools.

If you decide EMS is not for you, the college has many other interesting programs to consider. I promote the college because it at least gets someone exposed to the world of higher education. An EMT or medic mill will have others who are just looking for a quick easy fix to life and few have any thoughts about a career. Many are there due to a "Do all this in a few weeks!" commercial and get suckered into a huge loan that many cannot afford.

The disadvantage to a college education in EMS, you may end up smarter than most of your co-workers who will constantly down play the importance of knowing how to add and subtract or how an A&P class can't teach you street smarts. Many don't have enough in the intelligence department to know street smarts comes with experience which is made a whole lot easier with education.

I know dust, my paramedic course was under $300 for books and everything, but that was alot of money in the 80's -- i think my house payment was around $360/month during that time.

I think you guys totally misunderstood what it was I liked about the ROP idea. :wink:

Anyhow... Red, what exactly is your plan? What are you looking to do with this certification after you get it? A career? A job? A hobby? A way to get a firemonkey job? Just useful knowledge to have? We -- and you -- really need to know that before we can advise you on the most intelligent choices regarding your educational path. There are several different paths that can be taken, and it is best to tailor your plan accordingly.

VentMedic - Wow, That was a lot of awesome information. I did look on the California website, and i saw this http://www.emsa.ca.gov/paramedic/faq.asp I don't fully understand this. Does it mean i don't have to do Paramedic schooling or ???

Dustdevil - I am not doing this for a career, at least for right now. I am currently doing 3D Animation schooling for the Career. I just wanted to continue what I didn't a couple years ago. So I have that knowledge in case an emergency event was to occur that i know how to handle it. I am also working towards being a Martial Arts Instructor, So knowing the Medical field would help me out in the long run.

I don't want to waste any of your time, I just want to gain the knowledge and it could possibly go further than that down the road.

- Red Dragon

Arizonaffcep - Yea im liking the sound of $25-35 better than $80!!! :shock: So you're saying the NREMT exam is takin after the practicals. Now is this all done in the same day, at the same place? Thank you for that link that was very useful!!!

No. The practicals are typically done on the last day of class, and after that, you go to the NREMT website and go through the steps to obtain an approval for testing letter. Once this is done, via another website (whoever NREMT has contracted to host the test in your area), you schedule a time to take the test.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say, the cost for the NREMT written is around $70.00 (for the EMT-B).

You don't have to do the Paramedic after EMT-B. For the martial arts, a couple of college A&P classes might even be worthwhile. Who knows? It might take you down a path of Sports Medicine, Athletic Training or Exercise Physiology, all of which go into emergencies at a much more indepth level.

Since others have downplayed EMT as a first-aide course, take it for that. You can also get almost the same training through the American Red Cross with all of their first-aid classes. However, the timing of the classes may extend it greatly. I might even suggest a couple of ARC classes after you take the EMT. Some are very well taught from a practical sense. The problem with some EMT schools is that they are teaching only to pass an exam and little else.

spenac - Wow that's actually kinda discouraging :( So I shouldn't go to the community college for it? I should just try to find the shortest course and cheapest?

Now would be getting the EMT-Intermediate be good after I get the EMT-Basic?

I wanna choose the right path, I don't want to waste my time and money...

- Red Dragon

Many college Paramedic courses actually offer an EMT-B course in the first semester then you start the rest. There is no point in stopping your education, just go on straight to Paramedic. If EMT-I is not required no point in stopping for it. There is nothing of real value to be gained by remaining an EMT-B.

If you are not planning to work in the field but just want a good first aid to help an injured student or family member then just a first responder course. This would give you enough idea of what to do while you wait for the professionals.