Your Best Recipes

crotchitymedic1986

The one thing that I really appreciated from my Fire station experience was learning how to cook good, cheap, and filling meals for the masses. I am sure many of you have a cheap recipe for something really good to cook. If you would care to share your favorite EMS/Fire/ or homecooked meal, I would appreciate your ideas:

Please include directions for prep, cooking and serving, and a list of items needed from the grocery store.

I will start off with one of my favorite cheap meals --- Potatos and Roast Beef with rolls:

You Need:

2 potoatos for every person (5lb bag 2.50, 10lb bag $4-5.00).

one can of canned roast beef per TWO people (each can is $2.50-3.00).

Dinner rolls (2-3 per person ---- $2.50 per pack)

Cooking Oil ($3.00 per container)

Cooking Directions:

Peel (can leave peels on if you choose) potatos and cut into cubes.

heat up skillet(s) of cooking oil, and fry potato cubes until done.

Remove cooked potato cubes into plate of bowl lined with paper towels to drain grease.

In another pan (or drain grease and use same pan), add cans of roast beef (with juice), break up chunks with fork, and heat until bubbly.

Once roast beef is heated up, dump in potatos, stir, cook until potatos and beef are warm.

Serve with rolls.

OK, next cheap meal, and all cooked in the crockpot is unbelievably delicious and so easy any one can cook:

Crotchity Medic's EASY ass Brunswick Stew (this serves 4 people with leftovers -- multiply as you need to):

3 Cans of sucotash that contain: corn, tomato, and lima beans (diffent succotash contains different veggies)

1 Can or container of Pork BBQ meat (castleberry or the kind in the margerine like containers for sandwiches -- i prefer the shreded meat in the margerine container, versus the canned meat).

1 can or container of Beef BBQ meat (same as above -- or can use two of one if you dont like either -- or you can add cooked chicken if you like ).

1 14 oz can of diced tomatos

1 14 oz can of tomato sauce.

1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (add some to taste -- not whole bottle unless you like the taste).

Total cost $10-12.00 depending upon whether you buy name brand or cheap brand.

Directions

Dump all into a crockpot, and heat up over a few hours (low if you got all day, high if you need it in the next 2 hours)

You can add water if it is too thick, but i like a heaping spoon of stew -- not soup.

Serve with crackers.

*** May add tobasco, other vegetables, or other seasonings to taste -- realize that with all the tomato, may not need any more salt --taste first).

I promise, this will taste better than what you get in a BBQ restaurant, and is so easy to cook. Great on a cold winter's day.

Italian roast beef

1 pot roast (or rump roast if you have the $'s)

1 jar of peppicini (sp?) peppers

2 jars of jalapeno peppers

1 1/2 potato/person

1 lb bag of carrots

1 croc pot

put roast in croc pot

put carrots in croc pot after slicing into 1 " pieces

put potatos in croc after cutting into 1" pieces and peeled

poor all three jars of peppers into croc pot (juices and all)

cook on high for 3 hrs and then on low for 3-6 hrs (always turn to low when called out)

eats good with corn bread or rolls.