Philli EMS

djmedic

Ontario's got a slow and steady system in terms of progression. ALS is comparatively new in Ontario compared to the USA but is getting better. The OPALS study taught us a lot and created a culture of evidence based research EMS throughout Ontario. It's frustrating that things don't get adopted early in this province (CPAP, induced hypothermia, etc) but it's because they want to research the heck out of everything.

As far as administration and the like goes, just about all of the province is third service county/municipal with 50% funding coming from the province. Pay is good (~$30.00/hr), education is good (2yrs for BLS and another year for ALS). The flight system is fantastic with ORNGE providing ALS flight services for all the remote areas that don't have it themselves.

It's not perfect, and I know I'm looking at the system through the rose coloured glasses of a newbie. There aren't a tonne of jobs at the moment. But I've considered other provinces and while specific services have looked good, I think we have the best provincial system. (Though Alberta is about to make a huge jump as a system in my opinion)

Money and quality EMS are two very different things. If you are looking to work in a progressive EMS system, LA isn't it. If you are looking for a good paycheck and a career ladder that gets you off the ambulance, apparently LA has something to offer you.
What are you talking about?, you can spend your whole career on an ambulance in LA, Quality, What this is EMS buddy, if its bleeding cover it, if its broken splint it, and ABC's thats it.

Hey jabangas,

Thanks for proving that you're part of the problem. That's the way I try to sum up for first aid, not the way I expect a healthcare provider to be taught.

If that's how you view EMS, than your basic foundation as to what EMS is and should be is so flawed that any statement you make to the quality of the service you work for must be viewed from that perspective and is thus incredibly flawed. If I follow from your most recent statement back to your assertion that LA has a good service, I can draw what conclusions about LA? That you have the nicest selection of splints and gauze?

Although I do now have a greater understanding for why you seem unable to see eye to eye with others on this site. You're very definition of what EMS is, is not even close to what the rest of us are talking about. So, let's go back to the beginning and try to build an understanding. Please explain to me what you believe EMS should (not is) be and what it's purpose is. Though please start another thread if you choose to do so, so that we don't hijack this one entirely.

Pft, your right. There's no need for CPAP, 12 lead interpretation (acquisition and interpretation are two different things), pharmaceuticals, etc. Just good old first aid and fast transport is all everyone needs, right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.