Working in Remote clinics

Arctickat

In addition to my usual prehospital job, I have been working per diem at a remote health clinic in Northern Canada for the past 4 years. When I first started it was like a fish out of water. How many have training that actually includes how to use an otoscope or orthoscope, or which antibiotic therapy works best for each bug. It was a long learning curve, usually self study but I now have a scope of practice within the facility that actually makes me feel like a member of the team rather than a liability.

It would be awesome if schools could provide training for medics in non-standard roles, such as a Clinical Care Paramedic. I suspect that with the ever growing need for medics outside of EMS, there will soon be expansions and more training options.

Hey Arctic.

I believe you are seeing that education more and more in the quality schools.

I am just finishing Pharmacology and Paramedic emerg, I have covered specific antibiotics, antiviral, antiretroviral, Antineoplastics, Hormones, Antigout meds.... etc etc. I am also learning CT scan abnormalities (like the CT nurse would know.... basically gross abnormalities), X-Ray reading 101 (specifically air/fluid levels, neumo, Fx, ET, chest & NG tube placement.

We really are being prepared to work in facility as I believe that will become a big part of our job.

(During scenarios we are even given labs once we arrive at the hospital instead of just ending the scenario)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.