California EMS

iMac

Hey folks,

Looking at relocating to CA, Newport Beach area. I've already called the state to see if someone can give me a shout back and let me know what my options are. Tho I am more trained than what EMT-Is can do down there, I still think it would be in my best interest to simply go back and redo everything in order to be on the same page as everyone there.

If any of you have information on good schools that offer the training, have any advice to give me I would really appreciate the help.

It's going to be a temporary move. I am going to keep my Canadian licence and continue to travel back and forth in order to keep my Canadian citizenship/healthcare and my work VISA comes in place.

All advice and links welcome. Thanks everyone.

Yes unfortunately I am aware. The cost of living is also a lot different than what we have here. One reason I'm not letting anything go and taking my time. It's about doing the research.

I'm an EMT in Alberta.

Thanks for the help :)

Well then LA county EMT's can't do much other than assist with the admin of a pt's own perscription med, but you can run 911 calls with LA county fire, just be ready to be told what to do and how do do it. Orange county EMT's can't do mucah at all, and they transport with Orange County fire, but your treated in the same manner. Some ambulance companies to keep in mind, CARE, Doctors, Medix, and Westmed.

The state of California recognizes three levels of care, EMT-I (one, AKA EMT-Basic), EMT-II (two, aka intermediate, aka "limited advanced life support") and EMT-Paramedic. EMT-IIs are limited only to counties which are unable to provide full paramedic service. As such, you will not find them in most counties, and definitely not in LA, OC, SD, SB, or Riverside Counties. California organizes EMS by counties or groups of counties. While the scope of practice for EMT-Bs is set by the state, that scope of practice, as well as the actual protocols governing treatment, are set by the county medical director. As such, San Diego County will have a different protocol than Orange County and Orange County will have a different protocol than Los Angeles County, and so on.

Orange and Los Angeles Counties are heavily fire based EMS. In fact, in Orange County paramedics are only with the fire department. The sole exception to this is Mercy Air (Air Methods) which provides HEMS to the county. While each city provides paramedic service through their fire department (or Orange County Fire Authority of OCFA is contracted to provide fire suppression to the city), some cities contract out transport to a private company. As such, it is not uncommon to find a private ambulance, a fire department ambulance, and a fire engine on scene of a 911 call (cough OCFA in Irvine cough).

Off the top of my head, the main ambulance companies when I left were:

Service (information) [head quarters location]

Care (911 provider to most of Northern OC, numerous LA County 911 contracts, University Children's Hospital contract) [Anaheim north of CHOC]

Medix (911 provider for many cities in Southern OC) [Mission Viejo]

Doctors (911 provider for Seal Beach, Irvine, and a few other cities) [irvine near 5/405 interchange]

Emergency (911 service for Brea IIRC) [brea]

Pacific (IFT only) [don't know to be honest]

Lynch (IFT only, Children's Hospital of Orange County contract) [Anaheim near 91/57 interchange]

Shoreline (relatively new, IFT only) [Huntington Beach]

Schaffer (IFT only in OC since losing the Costa Mesa contract to Care, 911 contracts in LA County) [Don't know, to be honest]

To become certified in OC, you need to be certified to the EMT-B level by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. You may be able to get certified via reciprocity, but you would need to talk to OCEMS in that regard. To be able to work in OC, you will need an OC EMT-B certification, OC Ambulance Attendant License, health care provider CPR certification, and a physical done by a physician and have the physician fill out the form from the California DMV (the green "DOT" card), and a Livescan background check. To drive, you will need a second Livescan check (government agencies can't share information due to privacy laws), a physical (the same one that OCEMS is going to ask for. Yes, you can use the same physical/card for both), and pass a multiple choice test. Do pick up the information booklet from the DMV, it's only a few dollars and contains everything you need to know. By everything, yes, the test will ask questions based off of even the obscure information in the book. Livescan background checks can be obtained at any police department and includes electronic finger printing. To note, the OC EMT-B and OC Ambulance Attendant essentially have the same requirements and are generally obtained in the same visit to the OCEMS office in down town Santa Ana.

If you have to choose one of those companies, I would go for Care, I worked there before becoming a medic and it was pretty good, even though the pay does suck(common to all ambos out this way). Also, FYI, Shoreline has the Westminster 911 contract, that one is weird because the ambulances are OCFA and you are in house with fire, but it is private employees on the box. Also, Schaefer has offices in Costa Mesa and in Pomona. Honestly, being an EMT in OC and to a lesser extent in LA affords you very little in the way of experience. Unless you run consistently with the same ALS crew, you will do little more than o2 and vitals, maybe c-spine.