Job search advice

AMESEMT

Not exactly sure which category to post this but since I was just a student not too long ago I will post it here.

On Monday I have my first interview for a paramedic position. Besides looking nice (i.e. wearing a suit), what other things can I do to make myself more desirable (not sexually.....jeeze)? I want to give myself the best chance of being given an offer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I am new to the job hunt on the EMS side. I do have the ABC soup of certs (PALS, PEPP, AMLS, GEMS, ACLS, BLS instructor, PHTLS, and NRP). Thanks for the help!

Ames

1. Dress professionally -- not sexy.

2. Dont wear perfume -- you will probably be in a small office with the door closed, dont want to overpower them.

3. Be atleast 20-30 minutes early.

4. Be prepared to answer questions in detail with real life examples -- most employers have moved away from yes and no questions. Instead of do you work well with others, you are more likely to hear, "tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer or coworker" or "tell me about the biggest professional mistake you have made in your life, and what you learned from it", or "tell me about a time when you went above and beyond at your last employer". The purpose of this type of questioning is to hear the "real you" not the "interview you" -- be careful how you respond, as honesty can trip you up -- for instance, "at my last job, i had this boss that was an asshole -- he was constantly writing me up, so i demanded a transfer to a different shift".

5. Smile

6. Be positive -- no negative answers to any questions

7. Be concise, do not get diarrhea of the mouth.

8. Ask a good follow up question like, "are there opportunites for advancement here, if i work hard", or "would i have the opportunity to work on special projects or committees".

9. Do not get too much into salary/benefits during first interview -- let the boss bring it up.

10. Get a business card from the boss/HR person and email them later that day to thank them for the interview.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for all the advice. I found out Friday after Thanksgiving I got the job!!!! I start December 22nd.
Congratulations! Glad to hear the long road has lead to fruition for you. I'm looking forward to hearing how things go for you.