Yet another concerning incident

"Six people are in the hospital after an accident involving an ambulance.

It happened Friday morning on Kentucky 114 in Floyd County, when police say the ambulance slammed into a pick up truck. Witnesses say the pick up truck was waiting to make a left turn off of Kentucky 114 when it was hit by the ambulance.

All six of the people involved, including a patient in the ambulance, were injured. Three people in the pick up truck plus the driver of the ambulance were flown to a hospital for treatment.

"At the time of the collision, DHP Ambulance was transporting a patient. That patient was not being transported due to any emergency situation, simply a transport from one location to another," said Scott Hopkins with Kentucky State Police.

The crash closed Kentucky 114 for about two hours." Courtesy WYMT news - southeast KY

I read this today and just shook my head. I've worked this area for quite a while and also know many of the people for which work for this service (though I do not) and though they have had their fair share of troubles and questionable things, I'm not posting this to condemn or blast the service as I don't know the circumstances behind everything and currently rumors are flying. The only reason I'm posting this is to open everybody's eyes to make sure you are safe. I'd hate to hear of one of us being in the news for this. Please everyone always be safe and drive/fly cautiously.

IThis topic has been covered many times in here, and this just serves as another documented case of someone driving an ambulance with no 'due regard' for other people on the road.

Whether this was from driving too fast for road conditions, poor equipment, or just a plain case of not paying attention, the results were tragic none the less. I don't know what 'transport priority' was used, nor what should have been used.

I'm not going to try to pick apart this accident, nor am I going to try to assign blame. I can't do that without all the facts of the situation, which I'll probably never have. The point remains....when you're the 'pilot' of that rig, USE YOUR HEAD!

Just because you CAN drive fast, doesn't mean that in every time behind the wheel that you HAVE to drive fast.

I wouldn't take that bet, I saw a fool on a crotch rocket riding through an intersection texting yesterday.

You can't fix stupid.

Before we go crucifying the ambulance driver, let's take into account that the '4 wheelers' (automobile drivers) also are the ones out there trying to drive like Dale Earnhardt!

Duke,

As far as your observation goes, there was no mention of a motorcycle being involved in this accident.

In either case, the ambulance 'pilot' should have been driving defensively, and been able to avoid a pickup waiting to make a left turn. Again, I'm not going to assign blame here, as there are still too many facts missing.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.