EMS Exchange Program

Fox800

When I was doing stuff on the fire side, our dept. had a French firefighter that came over and rode out/worked with us for about 3 weeks. Pretty sweet gig, if you ask me. I'd love to go ride out in a foreign country (the UK, Ireland, Australia).

FOCUS: Have you ever heard of a program like this for EMS? Where would you like to go?

Before 9-11, I remember many folks getting departmental permission to do "Ride-Alongs" with us, and even after, some military medical trainees still rode along.

I don't recall if they allow anyone doing that anymore, including the military personnel.

It's been awhile, but I have seen a few examples of guys getting paid to spend time with other departments. Not so much of an "exchange" programme, as it was an attempt for one department to study the procedures of another. Some suburban departments around Fort Worth paid their guys to spend shifts on busy apparatus in FW studying quick attack tactics. Other suburban departments paid guys to run shifts on Dallas FD apparatus studying and observing PPV tactics in the late 80s, when it was still brand new. Since the guys doing this were municipal employees, and fully covered in case of any kind of accident, the big departments had no problems with it. Of course, just about every medic school in the Dallas area places their interns with Dallas FD. And those medics who go to smaller, less busy departments, have no problems coming back for occasional ride time in Dallas to stay current.

Although I have seen a lot of people informally go to other departments or even countries to spend time observing and learning, it usually seems to be a personal, unpaid thing. And I don't recall ever seeing a formal "exchange" programme of any significance since Marshal Sam McCloud went to NYPD.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I´m working for the german red cross at the EMS in county near Hamburg, Germany.

Many of my colleagues are very interested for an exchange program with an american EMS.

We want learn more about the Paramedic system, cause we had here a completely different system.

We got some special Emergency Doctors they ride with us to emergencys.

So we want to take a friendship with an US EMS.

Does anyone of you, know an EMS, who´s interested?

greets

red

(Sorry for my horrible english)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.