Advice on renewing my NR-Basic

mshow00

I need some advice on renewing my NR basic level, I am currently a paramedic student who at the end of my course (end of spring) will be taking the NR-paramedic level. My NR will expire before that time, so my question is: is it worth it at this point to renew it?

First, are you employed as a Basic?

If so, then I think it would be worth it, otherwise you would rapidly become unemployed.

Second, do you wish to prepare for worst case scenario?

Say you fail NR Medic a few times...or even one time, and he next test is not available for several months. Again, the same thing, you are unemployable as you do not have either level cert.

Finally, how difficult is it really to recert the card and not have to worry about any of the above? Pretty darn simple. If you are due for recert, you should have plenty of CMEs by now, certainly if you are employed. If not, there are a few quickie refresher courses out there which are relatively inexpensive.

I am employed and have both my Illinois and Missouri licensure (company required). Both states honor the NR but it is not required after the initial application process, as both states have there own license. I have everything I need to complete the process easily available, but my question stems from the point that I (hopefully) will be a practicing NR Paramedic by this time next year, so is it really worth it. If I did recert it would only be for a couple of months (again if everything goes well).

I let my NR expire as I too am close to completing my Paramedic. Texas recognizes but does not require NR to maintain state certification. Now once I get my NR Paramedic I plan to work to keep it. I plan to keep it even if I leave EMS as a profession. When I closed my company I still do my continuing education hours and pay my license fees because it would almost be impossible to get my licenses back if I let them go. I figure we never know when things could change and better to keep all options open.