Is politics taboo?

MrBird

*note this is in reply to all you shallow male pigs out there, Hope you all can provide a better argurement than I am voting for mccain his running mate is HOT :roll: :roll: :roll: *

Perhaps you missed my, "I laughed at this one, too:" comment. It really isn't a half bad photoshop job. But, personally, I prefer the Tina Fey version of Palin. Nor do I think attractiveness is a quality that lends itself as a reason to vote for someone.

McCain suspending his campaign to go back to Washington was a shrewd campaign move. If Obama doesn't follow then McCain has ammunition to use during the remainder of the campaign. I'm not sure what either candidate thinks they're going to be able to do, though. Really, it's all for show.

Here's what gets me. Obama is a first term US Senator. His favourite word is "change". When asked to elaborate, he talks in circles. He can't, or won't, be pinned down on what he really wants. Why? What's he hiding?

Biden was an interesting pick for VP. He's experienced in Washington. He knows how the game is played. He's a smart man and a smart political player. However, the man has a mouth that just won't stop! It's going to get him, and the Obama campaign, into trouble. He can't even keep himself in line with the Obama campaign as he's contradicted Obama in public! What's that say?

McCain has an extensive military background (which could be good for national security) and an extensive political background. However, he needs to realize that five years as a POW is not a qualification for president. No one is questioning his military record or his integrity/courage. People are questioning his policies and plans. Responding with, "Well, for five and a half years..." isn't answering the question. McCain's age wouldn't be an issue except for:

...Sarah Palin. McCain admits this was a knee jerk choice because he didn't have anything else lined up. There's an awful lot that isn't known about her. What is known, and what is coming to light, isn't very flattering. The "Trooper-gate" scandal in Alaska turns out to be only one example of a pattern of behaviour which makes me question how much I want her being next in line to lead the country. Couple that with the half-truths and lies in her acceptance speech at the RNC and you have a person qualified to be a politician but not run the country.

Neither candidate has an energy policy. Obama's is, "We need change!". McCain's is, "Drill for oil!"

Neither candidate has an economic policy. Obama's is, "We need change!" McCain's is, "Keating Five what? Who? Me?"

Neither candidate has a defense policy. Obama's is, "We need change!" McCain's is either, "Invade Iran!" or "When I was a POW in Viet Nam...".

Neither candidate has a domestic policy. Obama's is, "We need change!" McCain's is, "How many houses do we own domestically? I don't remember because when I was a POW in Hanoi I didn't have any houses."

I was hoping the debate scheduled for Friday would shed some light on this. It might not happen with both candidates working in Washington.

One interesting side note. I had a long and interesting discussion with a Brit this past Sunday. It seems Europe is very interested in Obama winning for a variety of reasons. Can any of our international friends shed some light as to why? (I know why this guy wanted Obama. I'm interested in a wider international reaction.)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you missed my, "I laughed at this one, too:" comment. It really isn't a half bad photoshop job. But, personally, I prefer the Tina Fey version of Palin. Nor do I think attractiveness is a quality that lends itself as a reason to vote for someone.

And you are making assumptions about me again every one here that knows me knows that was a joke on my part but you being a newbie have no clue about me.

As far as the debate I was hoping it would go on too I was interested in seeing who would say what. Maybe they will still debate it at another time they still have time.

This isn't about the candidates, but is a hot top currently. This is an e-mail I got this am and I just thought it would be fun to see the different reactions..........since we are throwing politics out there.

Subject: AIG Bailout

I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG.

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to America in a We Deserve It Dividend.

To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000 bonafide U.S. Citizens 18+.

Our population is about 301,000,000 +/- counting every man, woman and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18 and up..

So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billion that equals $425,000.00.

My plan is to give $425,0 00 to every person 18+ as a We Deserve It Dividend.

Of course, it would NOT be tax free. So let's assume a tax rate of 30%.

Every individual 18+ has to pay $127,50000 in taxes. That sends $25,500,000,000 right back to Uncle Sam.

But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their pocket. A husband and wife has $595,000.00.

What would you do with $297,500.00 to $595,000.00 in your family?

Pay off your mortgage - housing crisis solved.

Repay college loans - what a great boost to new grads

Put away money for college - it'll be there

Save in a bank - create money to loan to entrepreneurs.

Buy a new car - create jobs

Invest in the market - capital drives growth

Pay for your parent's medical insurance - health care improves

Enable Deadbeat Dads to come clean - or else

Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18+ including the folks who lost their jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other company

that is cutting back. And of course, for those serving in our Armed Forces.

If we're going to re-distribute wealth let's really do it...instead of trickling out a puny $1000.00 ( "vote buy" ) economic incentive that is being

proposed by one of our candidates for President.

If we're going to do an $85 billion bailout, let's bail out every adult U S Citizen 18+!

As for AIG - liquidate it. Sell off its parts! Let American General go back to being American General.

Sell off the real estate. Let the private sector bargain hunters cut it up and clean it up.

Here's my rationale. We deserve it and AIG doesn't.

Sure it's a crazy idea that can "never work."

But can you imagine the Coast-To-Coast Block Party!

How do you spell Economic Boom?

I trust my fellow adult Americans to know how to use the $85 Billion We Deserve It Dividend more than I do the geniuses at AIG or in

Washington DC.

And remember, The Family plan only really costs $59.5 Billion because $25.5 Billion is returned instantly in taxes to Uncle Sam.

Ahhh...I feel so much better getting that off my chest. Kindest personal regards , A Creative Person & Citizen of the Republic !

PS: Feel free to pass this along to your pals as it's either good for a laugh or a tear or a very sobering thought on how to best use $85 Billion! !

Obviously this is just an opinion of someone's (I don't know who), and we will never see anything like this happen, but I did find it interesting to read.................

Thoughts?

Wow maybe this guy/gal needs to run for president. They sure have my vote that makes alot of sense wonder if McCain and Obama or Bush for that matter would go for it. Probally not cause that would put too much power in the hands of us normal average citizens.

I couldn't agree more with you......it is obvious as hell that a "joe-shmo" wrote this and NOT a politician. The unfortunate side of this is that it makes sense for many reasons:

1) the money would be returned to the masses, and ALL 18+ adults would benefit from it, including the "big wigs" at AIG and the politicians

2) most would re-invest the money after paying our taxes, thus restoring the economy as we know it

3) due to the re-investing, another new firm can be born, thus promoting the "American way" of economic growth

Why is it that we are favoring this ONE company, and not looking at giving this money to the little guy trying to get started in the "bizz" in the form of grants and such? If I or any of you go out and get ourselves in a "s**t pot" of debt, what do we get? Last I checked it was called bankruptcy, and piss poor credit.........so how are we benefitting from this govern"mental" save?

You have some valid points, the common person gets bankruptcy and the big companies get bailed out by the government and eventually us when they raise our taxes to try and fix this mess they created.

Because giving money to the "little guy" who wasn't able to pay his/her debts in the first place is any better than giving it to the companies that made bad bets? Besides, what good is paying off debts if the companies have already failed? Giving money to people who either don't need it (as in not getting the money would cause major problems later) or Joe Blow who already failed at his obligations isn't going to help any if the institutions and companies that the financial system rest upon are no longer standing. Bailing out the idiots who overestimated their own means is definitely not the answer.

JP what is the answer then? Some time things happen to people that is beyond thier control and they cant meet the obligations, whether it be the big business or the small ones. So what is the answer to this problem do we stop buying, selling, working and supporting the ecomony? Do we do like our ancestors did and become self supporting?

I honestly don't think the answer is blowing money on the "little guy" as have been discussed in the last few posts. Furthermore, if we let some of these banks and institutions fail (Fanny and Freddie combined, for example, account for over half the mortgage industry. As another example, AIG has a huge amount of insurance policies), the effects will go well past the mortgage industry.

I do agree with government loans to companies.

I do agree with increased regulation (albeit the danger will be that the pendulum will swing to over regulation).

I do agree with the government seizing some of the companies.

I do not agree with the government handing out "free" money to either the companies or private citizens.

I would have to disagree with dividing up the 85 billion. The person who came up with the idea may have a good idea, but they have poor math skills. Dividing the 85 billion dollars among 200 million 18+ Americans would give each person a whopping $425. That's right, divide it up and each person could buy themselves a Wii, but would not be able to pay off their mortgage, student loans, etc. Good thing this person isn't running for president because they would be running on flawed principles (haven't we seen this somewhere before). In order for each person to end up with $425,000 we would have to divide up 85 TRILLION dollars. Even if we add the 700 billion bailout package that is currently being debated to the 85 billion for AIG and divide it up, each person would only get $3925.

Sorry to crush everyones dreams.