Relocating to BC!

danetaylor

Hey guys. I am sure this topic has been posted before but I will ask again anyways :lol: I am from Florida and looking to relocate to BC. I am a NREMT-P and also have my critical care paramedic course (CCEMT-P) and am a certified flight paramedic (FP-C). I also hold instructor cards in all of the alphabet courses. Would I be able to transfer these credentials to BC? Do they even recognize these? I am looking for flight jobs but would settle for a high paying ground position. Thanks in advance for any information!!

J. Dane Taylor FP-C, CCEMT-P, NREMT-P

You would have to get in touch with the registration and licensing board (British Columbia Ambulance Service). Give them a call as they can answer your specific questions as they are the the licensing body.

BCAS

Actually the British Columbia Ambulance Service (BCAS) and EMA (Emergency Medical Assistant) licensing board are two separate entities. The BCAS is the sole provider of emergency ambulance services in the province of BC. If you want to work in BC they will be your employer. The EMA licensing board is the licensing body in the province of BC. You must be licensed by them if you wish to practise as a paramedic in BC.

I don't know what parts of your training will transfer over but the folks at the EMA licensing are the people you will need to talk to. If you can transfer over be aware that we will be entering contract negotiations in 2009.

If you can transfer over be aware that we will be entering contract negotiations in 2009.

What is your union's stand on reciprocity for foreign transfers?

What is your union's stand on reciprocity for foreign transfers?

As far as I know the union has no official position on reciprocity for foreign transfers at this time. Traditionally the union has pushed for "training from within". ie employer sponsored training taking a PCP to the ACP level. As far as I'm concerned if you're competent and willing to work hard you're welcome to come out. I can't speak for the older crowd within the union but most of us who are younger are more than happy to work with anyone who is competent.

Actually the British Columbia Ambulance Service (BCAS) and EMA (Emergency Medical Assistant) licensing board are two separate entities. The BCAS is the sole provider of emergency ambulance services in the province of BC. If you want to work in BC they will be your employer. The EMA licensing board is the licensing body in the province of BC. You must be licensed by them if you wish to practise as a paramedic in BC.

I don't know what parts of your training will transfer over but the folks at the EMA licensing are the people you will need to talk to. If you can transfer over be aware that we will be entering contract negotiations in 2009.

Thanks for clarification. I thought they were one in the same.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.