EMS in South Florida

sowenstech

First off, hello to all. Just registered here after some lurking. Wonderful site with alot of obviously intelligent members. I currently work as an EMT-B in southern WV. Heavy 911 traffic with most calls being AT LEAST 40 minutes (live in the sticks) from a hospital. ALOT of ATV and MVC calls. Winter is even worse as the small, winding roads get covered with snow and ice. I lived in Naples, Fl. for about a year working as an electrician. Needed a break from EMS. Moved back when my wife's father became terminally ill. I am currently attending a Medic course at a nearby college. I should explain: I already completed one Paramedic program about 5 years ago. In WV, if it is an Assoc. Degree course, it need only be re-certified through the state OEMS every five or so years i believe. A certificate course, where you concentrate on the core curriculum only, needs to be certified before EVERY new class rotation. Our instructor had been teaching for so long, they assumed it would clear. Well......18 months later, after all our clinicals, competencies, ride time, ACLS, PHTLS, BTLS, NRP, PEPP, PALS, etc., we weren't allowed to test. College ate our loans for us. I feel it made me a much better EMT, so no regrets. The current class is an 8 month "rapid attack" course. Anyways, to finally get back on track, my family LOVED Naples, Miami, West Palm Beach, etc. What are the opportunities for a newer Paramedic in these areas? I would hope my heavy 911 background, high volume trauma and medical responses, and lextended transport times would give me an "edge" so to speak. Any and all replies, critiques, advice, etc. would be most welcomed.

I have my level I FF. I run with a volunteer fire dept. here.

Then, unless you're physically out of shape or have skeletons in your closet, you are in a good position to get a job in So FL. They don't care about your experience. A pulse and a certification (fire AND medic) are your tickets.

It would have said something very positive about your character if you had wised up and gone for the degree programme this time instead of just settling for the bare minimum requirements for a technical monkey certificate. I hope you plan to continue your education towards that goal, because it will make you a much, much better medic.

I feel it made me a much better EMT, so no regrets.

Excellent way to look at it. Good luck!

I do plan on going back for the additional classes to obtain my A.S. For now this is a positive for two reasons: 1) The instructor is FAR more competent than the college instructor, even the college knows this. I worked around him for awhile, and he is well respected and admired in the area. Plus he doesn't have ParaGod syndrome(sorry for any offense, but some of you know what I mean.) . 2) The adjacent county from the class, the one I work in, just lost its last EMT-P to retirement. We have no ALS in the entire county. These people need an advanced level provider. I do agree with you that the additional classes will improve my procedural skills and clinical knowledge. For now, however, Thes people need all they can get. I hope others will join me in the program, so as to fill the void of competent EMS providers in the region. If not, then my wanting to move is a moot point.

If you do plan on going to FL, you need to get your FFII cert. FFI is mainly only for vollys.

If you have a place there to upgrade to FFII, I would get it there. There are some Fire schools in FL that will allow an upgrade, but the better ones will make you complete the whole course over again.

Good Luck with finding a decent place in Fla.

Just keep in mind... If you don't want to be fire certified.... think north.... of Naples..... meaning Lee County EMS. Edison State College is a nationally recognized AS- EMS Tech. program. I just went through the program in '07-'08 and finished and I really recieved a decent education from there.

And if you want to be FFII cert..... good luck with that too! It's almost season and majority of FD's and EMS agencies down here are gearing up for it. Your bound to find something good around here...... (I hope).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.