Am I a poser?

Eydawn

This may sound kind of stupid. This post is an exploration of some of my own emotion and confusion.

Here's the setup. I've been an EMT since 2005. I have worked in wilderness and Boy Scout settings. The entire time, I've been participating in discussions here on the City about prehospital education standards. I agree that the EMT-B level of education is severely lacking.

I now have a conditional hire with a local ambulance service, for the first time since I've been certified (long story as to why this is only happening now... ask me in a PM if you don't know.) Just have to pass the lift test and the drug test and the IV class.

Am I a poser for accepting a position as a prehospital medical provider, with the *full knowledge* that my level of education is substandard? I feel as though I might have an advantage over some EMT-B's due to my biology undergraduate background and my continued self-education. But I have this sudden emotional conflict; is it hypocrisy to accept a position that perpetuates the brokenness of our system? This is an ALS service, that runs basic/paramedic teams.

It pays much better than the job I am leaving. It is a job that I have wanted for several years. Tell me I'm not crazy... I've wanted to work EMS for so long, and have outgrown the adrenaline appeal... is this hypocrisy?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Am I a poser for accepting a position as a prehospital medical provider, with the *full knowledge* that my level of education is substandard? I feel as though I might have an advantage over some EMT-B's due to my biology undergraduate background and my continued self-education. But I have this sudden emotional conflict; is it hypocrisy to accept a position that perpetuates the brokenness of our system? This is an ALS service, that runs basic/paramedic teams.

If the system is at the point where it would fail for the lack of a single EMT-B, then yes, I would call you a hypocrite, but I doubt that your area is in such a situation though. Furthermore, your education and understanding would allow you to go forth and proclaim the Gospel of EMTCity.

Eydawn, congratulation on the job !

A biology background should be what makes you feel less like a hypocrite. You should have more understanding of the human body than does the regular emt. Your system also utilizes paramedics. I do not see the problem. You are not giving away your education for free, and you have accepted that you are going to be working under a paramedic's supervision.

The way I am seeing it is that the brokenness of the system is that college courses are not required, even for the most basic certification. You have that education and the certification. You are working towards the solution, and not being a part of the problem.

I hope this helps.....good luck !

Yes. It might be several years, however... my long term career goals include getting my RN-BSN and my paramedic. Not sure which order yet; that will hinge on whether or not I get into the accelerated BSN program right away. If not, then I'm planning to work and go to paramedic school...

JP and Mateo- thanks... appreciate the replies.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

No wendy you aren't a poser you are smarter than the average bear here reguardless of whether or not you work the back of the truck or not. You have more knowledge of the system than some that have been working the back of the truck for many years. congrats on the job and the best of luck to you on your future.

Hey there Wendy. As you know, I start with a service on Friday. They run 1 EMT/1 Medic units. Am I a poser for working with them as a proponent of dual paramedic systems? It's a reality. I for one would be honored to run with you. I would rather have you than just about any other EMT I know. Go out there and do your very best. It will be good.

Wendy, you and I have talked. I have expressed my support of your EMS career and your knowledge. You are as far from a poser than any one here. You know my opinion of you and if you don't you and I need to talk again.

You will do your company proud just like you ahve done your previous company proud.

I would work with you any day of the week.

Yes. It might be several years, however... my long term career goals include getting my RN-BSN and my paramedic. Not sure which order yet; that will hinge on whether or not I get into the accelerated BSN program right away. If not, then I'm planning to work and go to paramedic school...

Wendy, based off of this statement alone, I'm going to say NO your not a poser. You have a plan in place and from what I can tell of your 1000+ posts here in the city, you are going in to this job with more education and knowledge than your typical EMT course grad. You are definitely NOT one of those "LIFERS" that have been discussed in many threads posted here in the city. We have had a few debates and conversations here in my short city Hx, and I personally have respect for you and your intelligence. I will also state that I have learned from your posts as well, good luck with the new job!

POSER? I think not!

Given that you have a plan to further your level of education to the preferred level ASAP and have in my experience shown yourself to act intelligently with due diligence, I would not call you a hypocrite. I know exactly where you are coming from. I started out on car as an EMR (essentially the same scope of practise as an EMT-:(. I went through the same feelings knowing that that level of provider shouldn't be accepted on car. I've since completed the majority of my PCP with only four preceptorship shifts remaining. Now as I continue to work I will be completing the pre-requisites for the ACP program (recently changed to a years worth of university credits just for entry into the program) at the Justice Institute of BC. Provided I'm able to complete all of them in time, I'm looking forward to starting into the program September 2009. The point is at this time you are working within the existing system. As long as you continue to strive to improve that system throughout your career there is nothing wrong with that.

Note:

PCP stands for Primary Care Paramedic (roughly equivalent in scope to EMT-I)

ACP stands for Advanced Care Paramedic (roughly equivalent in scope to EMT-P)