Accreditation Woes

VentMedic

It strikes me funny that the Chiefs are so against this change, makes me wonder if they are the type that don't bother to clean an IV site prior to sticking just because it isn't worth their effort or time. The good thing about this for US medics is that pay should increase, slowly I'm sure, but still increase. If the medic mills close because of lack of accreditation there will be a shortage making those of us out there more valuable. As much as I can't stand the NREMT, they are making a great decision by heading down this path.

Hmm... The one over in Battle Creek must have lost its accreditation between my leaving Michigan and this article. I remember distinctly that it was an accredited school. Wonder what happened? And I agree... the whiners, instead of freaking out, should be looking into how to accredit more programs so that it will provide more options...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

"There already is a shortage of EMS responders in Michigan," said Jon Hockman of Livonia, vice president of the Michigan Association of Emergency Medical Technicians. "Yet we're getting this rammed down our throats. ... These new standards would create an even larger shortage. That means higher risk to the public."

There wouldn't be such a shortage if paramedics made a living wage. Requiring education from accredited institutions is the first step in the necessary path that leads to real education and real wages. NREMT announced this change months ago and it's just starting to hit the news. I imagine it has been in the works for a while, so I hope they don't back down.

However, what I think we'll see happen is a lot of states that currently require students take the NR for state licensure will go back to offering their own. I hope I'm wrong, because I can't see where further Balkanization is a good thing.