Good book - "How Doctors Think"

jwraider

Here is a link: How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman

I'm about half way through this book and I'm wondering if anyone else has read it and been able to apply the material to their practice.

I know alot of it really pertains to how doctors operate but it does talk about things like a providers own mental and emotional state and how that effects the diagnosis/differential. It also talks about "anchoring" or picking an easy diagnosis without considering what else the problem could be.

I think there are some good tidbits in this book if you're looking for something to read.

While not connected with your book review, I recall an On Line Medical Control Doctor, originally an EMT, who also taught CPR.

Seems he was teaching a CPR class to a bunch of other doctors who got their degrees in other than the USA, and when he asked them what they were to do on finding the pulseless and breathless patient, almost all of them said to immediately defibrillate the patient.

He then changed the question to, "you're on a public beach when...

They answered the same.

He then asked them if they carried a defibrillator in the back pocket of their swimming trunks.

Therefore, what a doctor thinks can sometimes need a change of mind.

Damn you! :lol: I have a full course load this semester, and I'm in a mad dash to finish the four books I'm currently reading so I can concentrate all my efforts into my studies. I need to resist the urge to read this book, and I'm trying to tell myself that I have six weeks off over Christmas, and I can read all I want then...

Then, I clicked the link. Damn you Barnes & Noble, and your little excerpt too! I'm hooked, and now I have to fight off the urge to read this until Christmas. Oh, the agony.

The excerpt was nearly identical to what I suffered with for years, and still often suffer from today. I found out I had celiac sprue almost nine years ago. I still get sick often. I've had 15 blood transfusions with the last one being about 8 months ago, so I look forward to needing another one within weeks. I've had surgery, hospitalizations, tests, tests, and more tests. Apparently, this is a difficult disorder to treat in certain people.

All those gory details aside, I have a lot of people tell me how they never see other paramedics take care of patients the way I do. I get made fun of on a regular basis because I like to talk to my patients, take in the whole picture, often resulting in social work on top of medical treatment, and I'm the candyman, err, woman. I always figured that I wasn't as good a provider as someone that could just shut everything out and perform the basic medical care needed without getting involved in some long story from their 90 year old patient. I've never really had a doctor take the time to listen to me. Most of them like to give out prescriptions for fancy medications I can't afford and more than likely don't even need.

I'll be asking Santa for this book in my stocking. I can't have my grades suffering, I'm in a competition with my son for the highest grades, if he wins I have to give him $100. Heck, I'll probably give it to him anyway, just for all the effort.

The excerpt was nearly identical to what I suffered with for years, and still often suffer from today. I found out I had celiac sprue almost nine years ago. I still get sick often. I've had 15 blood transfusions with the last one being about 8 months ago, so I look forward to needing another one within weeks. I've had surgery, hospitalizations, tests, tests, and more tests. Apparently, this is a difficult disorder to treat in certain people.

Celiac disease is so under diagnosed in the USA that it is sad. I suggest anyone that has lots of stomach problems try an experiment and go off all food items that are contraindicated in celiac disease. The big one is wheat. It is amazing how quickly many peoples stomach problems improve or disappear when they stick to a gluten free diet. In other countrys gluten free food is readily available. In the USA you have to go to health food stores and pay an arm and a leg for anything. Most times you just make your own. I nearly lost my family because wife and kiddo remained sick despite all the meds doctors kept trying. Because of cancer they caught the problem in my mother-in-law as we read about it we decided to take and go on celiac disease diet. My family has done very good except when they have accidentally gotten into some food they shouldn't. I even have more energy when I stick to it.

OK sorry for the hijack of the thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.