I guess he read the textbook!

zzyzx

Here's a call I ran the other week. Nothing too crazy, but interesting in a some ways...

We were called priority 3 (lowest ALS priority; w/o lights and sirens) to someone having "muscle cramps." We arrive to find our patient, a 70-something male, lying flat on his back in the livingroom.

C/C: chest pain, described as pressure, midsternal, radiating to L arm. 10/10 (he looked like he really was in a lot of distress). Started suddenly when he was washing his car.

skins: pale, cool, diaphoretic

breath sounds: rate of 20. clear. PO 98%.

pulse: 60, peripheral pulses present, irregular

BP: 90 systolic (don't remember the bottom #)

ECG: sorry, but I don't have the strip. He was in A Fib, apparently a new onset. The service I now work for does not yet have 12-leads (embarrassing, I know, but we're getting them soon.)

History/meds: HTN, nothing else

I gave ASA and O2, and I started two IV's and ran them wide open on the short drive to the ER.

We spent less than 10 minutes on scene and went code to the nearest cardiac care hospital. I told them everything that was going on, but still we waited a half hour to get a bed, and another 10 minutes after that before anyone came around to do a 12 lead.

The hospitals 12-lead showed no ST elevation (so this was about an hour into the event), and labs had not come back yet.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it Hot outside? Was he physically fit or not? Any inversions on the ekg?

From reading what you said here he seems to meet the criteria for cardioversion

Except for the little matter of his rate being 60/minute.

No dig eh?

Sounds heat related. Still a possible MI, just not being detected by ECG yet. I wouldn't have started two IV's. Hypotension probably due to cardiogenic situation, not hypovolemia. You don't want to overload him. Since bradycardic, 0.5mg. Atropine. O2 15L/NRM if tolerated. If heart rate and BP comes up, adm. MS for chest pain.

I can't believe you had to wait that long for a bed with a patient in that situation. Either they had a whole lot of critical patients already or you were just being ignored. Personally, I would have kept requesting a bed ASAP to whoever.

Don't be embarrassed for not having 12 lead yet. We did III lead for years before 12 lead was available in the field with no major repercusions that I know of.

I also have my doubts about the atropine. I would have deemed this rate and pressure as acceptable under the circumstances. On that note, I certainly would not have started 2 IV's and run them wide open. This is almost certainly a cardiogenic cause and is therefore not helped (probably hindered) by pushing fluids to that extent.

I am a little old-school in a lot of respects. I still believe that although we should support and comfort the patient appropriately, it is not always appropriate to perform all interventions just because you can. We should realise that our main aim is to transport to an appropriate facility and not to "cure" the patient with cookbook medicine.

WM