another virus

Just Plain Ruff

here is a email that I received from a tech supervisor at sprint. He urges not to open any email with the CNN top 10 in the subject

May be just another variant on these emails that we ALL Know not to open but just in case.

"You all don’t need to worry about following the info below – just don’t open email with the heading in red below.

The rest is IT related fixing.

Sprint is being subject to a malware threat XP AntiVirus 2008 transmitted via the email regarding the Daily Top 10 from CNN

Actions: Update the master ticket of 6816359 with the asset tag of the affected system. Use the information below to clean the system.

Manual AntiVirXP08 Removal Instructions:

Unregister AntiVirXP08 DLL Files:

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]MFC71.dll

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]MFC71ENU.DLL

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]msvcp71.dll

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]msvcr71.dll

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]shlwapi.dll

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]wininet.dll

Stop AntiVirXP08 Processes:

Antvrs.exe

AntiVirXP08.exe

Find and Delete these AntiVirXP08:

AntiVirXP08.exe

Uninstall AntiVirXP08.lnk

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]MFC71.dll

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]MFC71ENU.DLL

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]msvcp71.dll

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]msvcr71.dll

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]shlwapi.dll

%ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]wininet.dll

%UserProfile%Application DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick

LaunchAntivirus XP 2008.lnk

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersDesktopAntivirus XP 2008.lnk

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsAntivirus XP 2008Antivirus XP 2008.lnk

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsAntivirus XP 2008How to Register Antivirus XP 2008.lnk

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsAntivirus XP 2008License Agreement.lnk

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsAntivirus XP 2008Register Antivirus XP 2008.lnk

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsAntivirus XP 2008Uninstall.lnk

C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsAntivirus XP 2008.lnk %ProgramFiles%[RANDOM NAME]database.dat

Remove AntiVirXP08 Registry Values:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareAntivirus

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREAntivirus

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun?Antivirus? = "%ProgramFiles%AntiVirXP08Antvrs.exe?

In addition, callers should be instructed to update their virus software and perform a scan of their hard drive.

John C. Tye | Supervisor

MaC's Suck, Vista Rules just kidding

But don't you wonder why these computer OS's by M$ keep coming out. I have always thought it was a conspiracy that Microsoft doesn't seem to do anything to really stop it. They could if they wanted but I think that the majority of the hackers and virus writers are employed by Microsoft in a dark end of Area Vista and the hackers are writing all these viruses. Microsoft then just sits back and enjoys the benefits. To continue on the conspiracy theory, Microsoft owns all the antivirus companies and they watch their profits increase by more purchases of antivirus programs. Make money both ways.

MaC's Suck, Vista Rules just kidding

But don't you wonder why these computer OS's by M$ keep coming out. I have always thought it was a conspiracy that Microsoft doesn't seem to do anything to really stop it. They could if they wanted but I think that the majority of the hackers and virus writers are employed by Microsoft in a dark end of Area Vista and the hackers are writing all these viruses. Microsoft then just sits back and enjoys the benefits. To continue on the conspiracy theory, Microsoft owns all the antivirus companies and they watch their profits increase by more purchases of antivirus programs. Make money both ways.

You never know. :wink: However, I must say that the older Windows XP was a much smoother and more stable OS than Vista. It is a crying shame that you cannot buy XP anymore. With that, does anybody have any experience with the Linux based operating systems?

Take care,

chbare.