Private EMS vs. Public EMS

streetsurgeon

My time with the Private sector was 4 years of getting a truck with your choice of brakes, steering, or air conditioning not a combo of any of these items, but only 1!

Yea see I got all of the above in my rigs... however you were lucky to have working lights to go with that siren. Legal? To the best of my knowledge no.

My base was perched on a hill overlooking the city, and very much in my opinion resembles an observatory. Dispatch (the evil corporate spies to the CEO) have the top floor made pretty much out of windows and sees everything. On top of litterally seeing us, they could track our speed with GPS as well. Now I like safety and I dont drive like a moron, and I dont take it from my partners either, so Im cool with this. But I dont take to well to going down the street Code 5 (lights and sirens) being yelled at by dispatch for noth having my lights on in an ambulance that is known to have electrical problems.

Note the following:

Supervisors know of this problem

Majority of all dispatchers (except for like 2) are EMTs and ride frequently

Dispatch assigns who is in what rig for the day and knows what rigs dont work (or are supposed to be told this if otherwise)

The CEO of the company OWNS a garage right down the street from base

There are 32 rigs and they are not all staffed at night (and are rarely all staffed at day time hours either)

With all that said... I noted to dispatch my lights are swtiched on and that Im requesting (in form of a demand not asking) to be placed out of service at the end of the call to switch to another ambulance. They agree, and we get back to base, show the super who denies the vehicle change. Needless to say I wasnt a happy camper trying to argue that one.

From there on the remainder of my career with that company I made it my personal mission to beat the hell out of that junk pile (see Tom Seizmore in Bringing out the Dead).

I've been in EMS for the pass 7 years with a private company, so I can't compare it to anything else. But I do see calls being scheduled without the trucks to run them, it's all about money. I've had my share of Large patient and not having assistance to help, but you know, I sit there till help arrive, no matter how long it takes. The pay could and should be better, and the same with benefits. As far as equipment, we have all the bells and whistles. The company is CAAS accredited, so everyone has their own portable radio, we are able to transmitt STEMI to the local hospitals, everything is blue tooth compatable. So as far as the toys we are state of the art, as far as employee treatment, it could be a lot better. We are not a family anymore, we are not indispensable anymore, too big a waiting list for new hires. Sad, but True.....

Its unfortunate that having the best of the best equipment by no means garuntees the best of the best performance and team work. Does it make the job easier? Quite possibly... but after spending all that money to get the latest and better working model to make the employees happy (on duty), they still go home with less than they diserve. Ive always believed that you must love your chosen proffession more than you should have a good paying one... but how can one choose to burn out at a lousy desk job but support their family vs. maybe losing family support over a pay check but loving what you do?

I had a job interview today with a private organization, it went quite well and I expressed great interest in pursuing my medic and maybe RN certifications (the company owns a rehab facility as well). They went on to explain how they have a hard time staffing medics in one area and offer differential to work there because its heavy competition with the municipal systems. I hate saying the word competition in the medical field... but I always make note to ask how well a company I apply for works with other agencies. There should be no competition... but Im not ganna be second or third due (next to another agency) rig if no one agrees to play nice. I dont care who does more 9-1-1s vs transports.

• 2 weeks later...

What it boils down to is:

Private Sector=Crews are temporary, ambulances are forever (extreme generalization)

Public Sector=Ambulances are temporary, Crews are forever (again, generalization)

I have found this to be the most significant difference between the two. Not to say those opinions/statements can't be flip/flopped, but at least in Pima County AZ, it is "dead-on balls accurate."

Sounds like Arizonaffcep's worked for my company. I work for a private service in Arizona. His statement is pretty darn near the truth. It seems that in order to make the local FD's happy.....anybody (EMT, CEP, RN, Manager) is replaceable. So, that takes care of the "Crews are replaceable" part. As for the ambulances.....even truer. We have rides that are old model High-tops. Talk about being there forever......scary.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.