Vent dependent patients on home care

JPINFV

So I was on the subway going to 'work' this morning when I came across this article about a boy who died in Boston a few days ago when his ventilator's backup power supply failed during a power outage.

So, a few questions for the people in the know.

1. What sort of training should we expect of the immediate family? BVM? Suctioning? etc.

2. What sort of backup equipment do they normally have? Sure the vent should have a working back up power supply, but what about back up monitoring equipment? Is there a way to automatically call for help if something happens or fails if the patient is home alone (say, an alarm isn't canceled in x amount of time)?

The vent patients I have dealt with had family that knew how to suction and how to bag them if everything failed. None of the systems I have seen had any way to notify 911 if everything failed. Only way we found out is if family called.

I had this happen to me just yesterday here in the Boston area. 64 yof whose bipap had stopped working. Just like that! She had an archaic setup for bagging, but family knew how to ventilate and she was fine. Had a bvm attached to a hose and then to a mouthpiece & she could blow off anything excess. Shot her over to the hospital & they threw her back on the bipap until she could get a new vent. I'd think education is key in such a situation, and perhaps a backup generator.

In parts of Florida, the power company is alerted to a technology dependent person in their area. The person is usually warned if a power outage will be in their area. That area is also given a priority in service.

Homecare patient and their family members are very well trained before they leave the hospital. My patients are probably even better trained since I know the abilities and limitations of many EMS providers. These patient have a wide variety of airway devices but the Paramedic may only seen the "trach" and may assume everything is a "trach" when there are about 300 other choices. Not all will have the standard 15 mm adapter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.