Being a Paramedic???

As others have mentioned, make sure this is something that you really and truly want to do. Research it thoroughly before you jump into it.

I at one point wanted to make EMS a permanent career, but after being in it for only 5 years I've seen that this isn't really something I want to do full time for the rest of my life. I decided on nursing school due to the availability of work , and also decent pay and benefits.

Keep in mind, whatever decision you make it is your and yours alone. Do what is best for you and your family, and you won't go wrong.

If you are already not an EMT, I would take reaper's advice and see if you can get some ride time. It would be wise to know if your perception of EMS and actual reality have any similaities.

Take a couple of prerequisite courses such as college level A&P, whether required by the Paramedic program or not, and network with other future health care professionals that may also be going through the same struggles you are. You may also be able to talk with the EMS students and the Paramedic instructors as well as observe the classes at the college. Community Colleges are usually more reasonably priced. Some may even have daycare for the children and the credit can be applied to another degree if you decide becoming or being a paramedic is not for you. Community Colleges can also better assist you in get the proper financial help you may need and not get you stuck with an expensive "just sign here" loan.

By starting with a college class you may be able to find out, without it being too costly, if you can manage your time and have the discipline needed for more extensive study. It will also get you better prepared for the academics if you have not been in a classroom for awhile.

If you chose to go to paramedic school, find one that is accredited (CoAEMSP and/or CAAHEP) preferably with a community college. "Career schools" that offer a Paramedic program may not have these acceditations.

The Paramedic program can be the easiest to enter but can be the most expensive in the long run if you chose the wrong school and financial assistance.

Other healthcare programs such as Nursing (RN), Respiratory Therapy (RRT), and Radiology (RT), require at least an Associates degree. Other fields such as Speech (SLT) and Occupational Therapy (OT) start at the Bachelors degree. Physical Therapy is at least a Masters with the Doctorate now becoming the standard. However, if you start with a couple of classes such as Anatomy & Physiology which can be applied to almost all healthcare degrees, you will be setting a good foundation.

In many areas a two year degree in any program, including EMS, can still be obtained for $5000 to just under $10,000 at a community college. A "career school" Paramedic program may be quicker but will cost $12,000 to $15,000. They may push you into an "easy to get" loan that can be very costly later. With what an EMT and Paramedic may make for a wage in some areas, you could be paying for that loan for many years.

If you are not an EMT yet, you can pick up an entry level job in a hospital relatively easily and they may offer many tuition assistance benefits to at least get you started. You can also check out the world of healthcare and see if it is something you will like for the long haul. Prehospital medicine is different but you still must want to do patient care to be successful.

Choosing a career and getting an education are like investing. You have to think of your future and choose the best method for you to secure it.

My advice is, even though I love my job,go to nursing school you do similar stuff about twice the pay and you'll have more time wit your children.Same amount of time in school.

That depends on where you are. So far Oregon is the only state that requires 60 hours of college credit and it doesn't have to be a degree in EMS. Texas has another "license" for those that have a 2 year degree.

The minimun number of "hours" to be a Paramedic is 700 in many states, a few with 1000 and a couple with only 550. There are many "career schools" (medic mills) and now online schools that can get you through the Paramedic program in under 6 months. I believe there is one school that is still advertising its 3 month Paramedic program.

To be an RN you must have at the minimum of an Associates (2 year) degree. Just their clinical hours will be over 1200 with much more patient contact time per clinical session than the Paramedic student.

Nursing will give you many more opportunities than being a Paramedic and you can do all the skills of a Paramedic including EMS in some areas, Flight, Critical Care Transport and Specialty transport where you can seriously challenge your knowledge and skills. However, to get on one of these teams will take several years of experience in critical care medicine will many critical care procedures observed by the intensivist (ICU physician). It takes that long to master many disease processes, critical care and med-surg pharmacolgy and the many different ICU protocols as well as the numerous skills.

don't do it unless u love it if u love it will be the best job ever

The best answer... As one of both nursing (two degrees) and EMS (one degree) I can attest I have seen many that thought that nursing was the cure all. What many are finding out, it alike EMS should be a calling. I love both, but they are totally separate professions and jobs. Sorry, the pay maybe a little better but one usually finds one works twice as hard as well.

I am now seeing many veteran medics "regretting" for going into the nursing profession. The ideology and scope is definitely different mind-set.. (there is nothing wrong with it, just different) and it is NOT what they have expected. Let me inform those who keep referring to the pay.. if it sounds to good to be true... it probably is. If they are paying "big bucks" for nurses, there is a reason that they have to... be wise, investigate any profession thoroughly.

R/r 911

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.