Its vest time....

And no, not bullet resistant vests.

ANSI Class II vests. Effective 24 November 2008, ALL personnel working on Federally Funded Highways will be required to wear one.

Construction worker, Firefighter, LEO, tow truck driver, EMS personnel, we all have to.

A little PSA from the fire side on this issue.

http://www.firehouse.com/videonetwork/inde...p?showid=898410

Funny this should pop up in discussion. Last shift I was on, two of the four crews on were called to respond to a 2 car MVC on a major highway that resulted in one sign off and one full immobilization code 3 to the ER. Made the evening news... which showed our company owner four of his Emits not wearing the mandated EMS vests... In my own defense, iamb inclined not to blame ourselves for not wearing the vests, but the media for publishing it for the world to see

Even though I realize the sense in wearing such safety gear on a call so close to speeding vehicles, ill be the first to admit to never wearing one with no intention of starting without harsh 'encouragement'

Funny this should pop up in discussion. Last shift I was on, two of the four crews on were called to respond to a 2 car MVC on a major highway that resulted in one sign off and one full immobilization code 3 to the ER. Made the evening news... which showed our company owner four of his Emits not wearing the mandated EMS vests... In my own defense, iamb inclined not to blame ourselves for not wearing the vests, but the media for publishing it for the world to see

Even though I realize the sense in wearing such safety gear on a call so close to speeding vehicles, ill be the first to admit to never wearing one with no intention of starting without harsh 'encouragement'

Whats it hurt? Have you ever seen the uniforms of some of the other countrys Paramedics, very bright. Why not wear something for safety? In fact if you get injured on a wreck not wearing it, since it is mandatory, you may not even get workers comp much less the jackpot. Is that strong enough encouragement?

Umm also careful with spell check some of your words make no sense.

Very informative Spenac... and though I failed to mention in my previous post that the lettering on my uniform is reflective, as is the lining on the trouser. So again, while safety vests should be worn, I personally find them cumbersome and somewhat redundant in my situation.

Also, i did use the spell check... which is probably why the words that werent in spellchecks dictionary and were therefore changed are that ones that are incorrect. And yes, I should have caught that. Although, why two simple mistakes that are easily enough understood given their context should garner such a comment is beyond me. In fact my last two posts have turned up unfavorable remarks from you. Im not sure i see the reason for this, but as ive said before, everyone is entitled to their opinion... and a mistake every now and again

Very informative Spenac... and though I failed to mention in my previous post that the lettering on my uniform is reflective, as is the lining on the trouser. So again, while safety vests should be worn, I personally find them cumbersome and somewhat redundant in my situation.

Did you happen to watch the video in the link I provided?

There is no doubt that turnout gear contains a LOT of reflective striping on it, but with the flurosent color of the vests, it makes them that much more visible.

And like it was pointed out above, try getting a workmans comp claim approved, God forbid you are struck when you are not wearing a vest.

It takes less then 10 seconds to put on, and 10 seconds to take off, NOT wearing one is just stupid.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.