Folks there are no accidents

Just Plain Ruff

folks, there are NO accidents only happenstances.

today I had one of the most surreal flight experiences I've had in the past 7 years of flying.

This morning another passenger named Michael Ruff and I (michael ruff) were checked in to the same plane and same boarding group as each other, a mistake by the curbside checkin guy.

I noticed his boarding pass when he got in line that it was showing Michael Ruff boarding group A position number 23. Well that was my exact number so we started talking and he indeed was Michael Ruff but not from Raymore but from Lee's Summit. We talked a bit more and then boarded the plane.

5 minutes later the gate agent came and got me off the plane. The gate agent said that I was supposed to go to Baltimore not Chicago and my correct boarding pass was out at the ticket agent.

I picked up my ticket and sat down. Then it was time to board the plane. All was well.

50 minutes outside of Baltimore, a request came over head asking for a paramedic, nurse or doctor to ring their call button.

I did and they ushered me back 10 rows to a obviously sick male who was having a bit of a blood pressure problem.

I started to talk to him and he was quite sick.

About that time a Physician who was also on board came up as well as a Nurse who I knew from my paramedic days was also on the flight.

We found out this was a medication issue but that did not make the guy less sick.

I was able to talk to the captain on the plane while the physician talked to the patient. They then patched us thru to the Southwest Airlines medical corps which they were really nice. They asked me if we needed to divert to the nearest airport and I said not quite yet we aren't done wiht the assessment.

The physician and Nurse sort of deferred to me for the skills part and I was able to start an IV, put oxygen on him and get him situated better on the rows of seats.

They said they would have Baltimore EMS at the gate waiting for us, they cleared the landing path for us to come in first over about 10 other planes. We landed with the patient's blood pressure raised from 80/40 to 100/68 and an increase of his pulse rate.

The patient was very thankful and so was southwest airlines and the flight crew.

this is the 2nd time I've had to do this in my travels and it doesn't get any easier each time.

I truly believe that from the start this morning wiht the mix up between me and the other other michael ruff that this was ordained and not anything that I had a hand in.

As a matter of fact, this guy even though he was muslim(he said so to me) he said God Bless You to me and I told him he was gonna be OK.

Again, there really are no accidents. This was not an accident I was on the plane.

As a matter of fact, this guy even though he was muslim(he said so to me) he said God Bless You to me and I told him he was gonna be OK.

Cool deal Ruff!!

As for the God comment, you do realize most Muslims view God and Allah as one in the same, only different names due to language...right? One of their main differences is in who the true prophet was....Jesus vs Mohammed.

So it was perfectly acceptable for this Muslim to use the English tongue and say god bless you.

Sounds like meeting the other Michael was meant to give you a heads up...

Allah is God... it's the belief system that is different. There is a clause somewhere about respecting those "of the book"... AKA those who believe in the same God but haven't reached the final stage yet...

Allah smiled on that man by sending you... :D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Guys i'm not some turnip that fell off the truck. I know that Allah is god and God is God. What I was trying to relate is that I've treated many muslims over the years and never has anyone of them said God Bless You. It just never happened. I used the wrong words but there it is.

Interesting experience, Ruff.

Does Southwest carry medical supplies on every flight?

(BTW, Muslims believe in God, too.)

All planes in the US are required to carry medical supplies.

I am not sure how much to say here for fear of tumbling into theological debate but I do want to say that I am glad that you responded to the situation at hand even on vacation and so very well. It is quite nice that is how it worked that time.

TMZ, I know who guided my trip yesterday. I know that it was not my doing.

I was actually travelling for business and this is the 2nd time I've had to do this on a sick patient. The first patient ended up coding in the ambulance in Detroit.

This guy just took 1 too many bp pills and his pressure bottomed out.

When in doubt, if you go off your meds for a month and then want to start back up just take two to make up for lost time. Not a einstein moment. This guy was a supernice guy though.

I hope to see him again monday when we fly back out again.