CO Basic Education

No lecture intended, just trying to give sound advice. I know Basic may seem "like a joke", but it's necessary. You have to do it. And yes, it might bore you to death, but actually, have fun with it. But what is your rush? EMS will always be there.

It's great that you are so determined, and that's how you need to be. Just don't get ahead of yourself. Right now until you do go through your more basic classes, you're just spinning your wheels with the advanced books on your own. You'll just have to go through it all again in class room studies. It's not wrong to read them, but it won't accelerate you in class. You will still have to go at the same rate as everyone else. Believe me, I know from experience. I've given this same advice to many EMT's coming up in the ranks, and to my students.

Keep up the good work. You'll do great.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Dude*... can ya break your text up into smaller snippets please? The big long paragraph is bugging me for some reason.

Little snippets.

Like this.

With spaces.

Helps folks read it and makes your diction seem less rushed....

Wendy

CO EMT-B

*Dude*... can ya break your text up into smaller snippets please? The big long paragraph is bugging me for some reason.

Little snippets.

Like this.

With spaces.

Helps folks read it and makes your diction seem less rushed....

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Who? What? Me? Naw.

Probably where the frustration is stemming from. Thanks for the advice, its the same I have gotten for years on end and really, REALLY wish I would have followed.

wow... why don't you chill out and take the time to get experience as a "joke" emt-b before going on to becoming a medic? Basics do more than you realize...and seeing as you have only READ about these things you really should get out in the field for a bit and get experience before you're a medic. i know you keep repeating that you have been into this stuff forever and have read all you can but reading and DOING are two very separate things.

I really hope that somewhere along the line you are forced to sloowww down and take your time... there is no rush. I have been wanting to be a paramedic since 12/13 and am still working towards finishing all of my hours...you may realize some people will get annoyed with your over-enthusiastic attitude.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the current EMT-B curriculum is a joke. As has been stated numerous times on this site, it is little more than glorified first aid. Boy scouts are probably better trained to handle emergencies than the average EMT-B. Frequently I have basics with me that tell me they don't want to embark on paramedic school without "getting their feet wet" as a basic. Seriously, if you work EMS in a paramedic service you get to lift patients, carry equipment, and drive. Sometimes you might get lucky and get to splint or bandage, but that's rare. My service requires that I attend every call, even transfers, so my basics don't get to do much in the way of patient care.

It's almost ridiculous that basic is a requirement to paramedic. I can find a much better use for that 120 hours. English composition, college math, A&P are far better ways to spend that time. Any good paramedic course is going to repeat the core content of a basic course anyway. If your paramedic school doesn't bother to refresh you on this content during your class, they suck. It's been shown time and time again that basics who do not go on to paramedic school almost immediately often have SEVERAL bad habits that have to be broken.

I'd much rather have a student that is enthusiastic about learning than one that thinks they know everything already, or seems utterly bored with the entire educational process.

A side note... I do not discriminate against the basic alone. I also feel that intermediate courses are a waste of time, as is any paramedic program that does not require any pre-requisite college level English, science, and math.