Seizure

chbare

Good thinking. Nicotine toxicity is not the problem with this patient; however, his smoking may have helped cause the problem/s.

Take care,

chbare.

DARN

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBC, and a chem panel

Do the lung sounds change after intubation? How about vascular access?

I'm also considering using an N95 mask. :wink:

What are those cloudy regions? Is that tissue degeneration from an infectious process, or tumor? Sputum culture time...

Waitaminute... could this be tuberculosis?! Tuberculosis meningitis? Would that explain the cloudy regions in the chest x-ray and the seizures...

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/mycobac_tbm.html

But how would his history of being a smoker factor in to that diagnosis? And if we suspect it, shouldn't the whole family be screened for TB infection?

Am I off in left field?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I think he may have metastases in the brain causing the seizures, but then again I've had the benefit of reading all the previous posts.....

WM

What are those cloudy regions? Is that tissue degeneration from an infectious process, or tumor? Sputum culture time...

Waitaminute... could this be tuberculosis?! Tuberculosis meningitis? Would that explain the cloudy regions in the chest x-ray and the seizures...

http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/mycobac_tbm.html

But how would his history of being a smoker factor in to that diagnosis? And if we suspect it, shouldn't the whole family be screened for TB infection?

Am I off in left field?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Stupid me, I only glanced at the x-ray. TB, pneumonia, CHF, Emphysema? How are the extremities over all, edema, especially hands and feet? If entubated, was there any edema of the epiglottis, epiglottitis? (Lost a 35yr. old due to that) If over all edema consider Lasix, foley cath. Attempt any kind of breathing tx., doc's choice.

I know, I'm still reaching.

Good thinking, the history would be suspicious for TB.

Does looking at the chest X-ray help? We have what looks to be a narrowed mediastinum (Hard to tell with the size of the pic), hyperinflated lung fields, and a diaphgram that is pushed down. All indications of something that can cause a hyperinflated chest. (COPD, Asthma, etc) So, this is consistent with his chronic smoking and barrel chest. I am not sure that we can tell anything else from the file? Obviously, this would be a pre-intubation film. :)

I think the SMA-12 and CBC are great tests to consider in this case. We can look for infection, electrolyte imbalance, and multiple other problems with these two labs.

Significant findings include: NA+: 102 mEq/L , BUN: 5 mg/dl, and You calculate serum osmolality at 208 mOsm/kg. Sputum culture is negative for acid fast bacteria.

Non contrast CT of the head: narrowing of the ventricles noted. No other significant findings are noted. (No large masses, mass effect, or midline shift.)

Take care,

chbare.

I don't know enough about lab values to know what the results mean. :) Here is where my education is as of yet severely lacking...

So negative for acid fast bacteria = no TB... Narrowing of the ventricles... swelling? Is it viral meningitis? How would we figure that out?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I don't know enough about lab values to know what the results mean. :) Here is where my education is as of yet severely lacking...

So negative for acid fast bacteria = no TB... Narrowing of the ventricles... swelling? Is it viral meningitis? How would we figure that out?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Spinal tap (not the band). I went through aseptic viral meningitis about eight yrs. ago. But I had no seizure.

Spinal taps and "blood patches" suck big time.

Yeah, narrowing of the ventricles is a sign of cerebral edema on the CT. Meningitis may be a consideration; however, look at the labs again. You may note some very significant findings.

Take care,

chbare.