Boston Area Privates

Hey all,

Just got my Basic and am looking around the Boston area at private companies and have pretty much narrowed it down to Professional in Cambridge and Cataldo which is in quite a few towns. I'm applying to both for sure, but any insight that can be provided into either one would be appreciated. What are the people like, where do they stick new basics, how's the management etc etc. Any other Boston area private that I should consider would be welcomed as well. The ultimate goal is Boston EMS and I have filed my resume with them, but I want to get out in the field and get experience ASAP.

Pro has a good reputation, covers the city of Cambridge, owner is a good guy, very proactive with training, and good equipment. I have no idea what the money is like there. Cataldo is a bigger operation, cover a few north shore cities and towns, with a lot of interfacility/dialysis runs, not too sure about the training and equipment over there, or the money.

Fallon ambulance in Quincy is another well established private, they provide the 911 coverage for Quincy, Milton, Brookline and Weymouth, as well as the usual interfacility/dialysis runs too.

Eascare in Dorchester runs mostly interfacility, SNF, dialysis.

AMR....People work there too, don't know much about them.

If your ultimate plan is BEMS, all new hires are required to be city residents within 6 months of hire, you will be drug tested (hair) and CORI/drivers record will be looked at too. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Fallon seems to be a decent company, but the money for entry level EMT-B is lower than Pro and Cataldo. Eascare is now on my list. Anyone know anything about Mercy? I saw one of their trucks today in Chelsea.

I'm not too worried about drug test/background checks at BEMS, I'm a ferry captain and have to give a whiz quiz about once a month, hair once a year, no problems there.

I don't know much about Mercy, I've seen them around, they are relatively new.

If I were looking to work for one of the privates, I'd probably go with Pro. They have a pretty state of the art sim lab, paperless pcr's with 100% case review, all patients are sent a QA questionaire and you will get feedback from your patients good or bad. They are also CAAS accredited.

I just did some clinical rotations with Pro in Cambridge, I was really impressed with their system. They have an excellent ongoing education program, and even have a medic program at their facility.

They do have excellent equipment, and everything is well maintained. Don't know much about the others, but Pro would be a good choice IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, maybe consider Trinity in Lowell or Patriot in Lawerence. Good experience, not sure about the pay. I work for Rockingham in Manchester/Nashua, NH and a lot of my co workers have worked down there, and all of them loved it. Just an idea.

I'd say consider Rock, but EMT-B's are not allowed to do any 911, and this seems to be what you're looking for.

I'm not just looking for 911, but those towns are a bit further north than me, I'm looking at Boston area and south shore.

I'm applying to Pro and Cataldo and Eascare, as soon as I get some free time to go through the application process. Thanks for everyone's input!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

When I was brand new I started at Armstrong Ambulance working at the Brighton ("Bravo") base. It didn't bother me so much then, but thinking back we probably did about 90% interfacility transport. It was a really good introduction into EMS, though. I got plenty of opportunity to get comfortable talking with patients, handling the stretcher, working with nurses, all the basic stuff that we take for granted.

I think I'd probably kill myself if I worked there now (can't stand transfers! haha), but in retrospect that time period was extremely valuable. There are things you need to know before you start going out there trying to be a hero and save lives. Starting slow may be exactly the right answer.

Something to think about, at least.

By the way, anyone on here work at Armstrong now? I sometimes wonder how people from "Bravo" are doing these days....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.