San Diego non-fire medics

hi, i worked for amr for awhile in sandiego. i know that all the contracts they have for medic trucks have now gone to dual medics and the basics are loosing their spots. amr in sd has lost some big contracts lately. i don't know much about rm but do know they run all the 911 calls out of the city and they do some transport. the pay sucks it's about the lowest i have seen in the country for such an expensive place. amr does have a union which was the first i had ever seen. i am not crazy about the protocols but u learn to adjust as you go or don't work in this field. i wish you luck it's a beautiful place to live but very expensive.

• 4 months later...
Does anyone know what it's like working for R/M as an EMT Basic do you get to run 911 type calls with fire or are you for the most part stuck doing IFT's all day and what is the pay. 8) 8)

any input is appreciated thanks

You will start off on a BLS box doing IFT's, and then I believe you can go to Bridge program and work with a medic and run 911 calls.

Again? That's been an on-and-off threat for ten years now. They restructured in Y2K and pulled out of dozens of markets, including leaving the City of Fort Worth, Texas high and dry. Like AMR, they bit off way more than they could chew with their rapid expansion acquisitions across the country. As if any of us couldn't see that coming.

I don't mean to pull the thread too much off topic, but what does a city do when an ambulance provider pulls out of their city? How much warning did they have?

I don't mean to pull the thread too much off topic, but what does a city do when an ambulance provider pulls out of their city? How much warning did they have?

I don't know how much warning they had in Fort Worth, but I do know it wasn't much of a problem for the system. Fort Worth-Tarrant County was a Public Utility Model, so the "ambulance authority" owned the whole operation, from the trucks to the Band-Aids. RM only provided management. And we all know how easy management is to replace! The operation never missed a beat, as far as I know. No contractor was sought to replace RM. After all, with both AMR and RM having already failed, who was left? So the "ambulance authority" just hired more managers and took it over as a quasi-governmental third-service, utilising the same personnel.

If there is anything positive to be said about the PUM, it is that it certainly has a very stable failsafe component just in case of such an eventuality.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.