Community College Financial Aid

It seems that we are in a transition period where many paramedics are reaching for that degree, which is definitely a positive thing and advancement to the profession. However, the financial aid available to paramedic students is very little in comparison to other health care professions. Couple that with the fact that so few paramedic students are living at home with mommy and daddy. Most of us are paying for our tuition (and books-ouch!) ourselves working nights and weekends as EMTs. Community colleges are becoming less an less affordable and with the economic situation, student loans are more difficult to get and more expensive.

Shoot Riblett, as a girl you've got a lot of options!

If you're working, quit and go on Welfare, if you're married-get divorced, and if you're not currently pregnant, or raising kids on your own, do so! Oh, and if you happen to be all of those things, as well as an illegal alien...well....SCORE!

There will be plenty of money available if you're just willing to take the steps necessary to be eligible....

Yeah, sorry, I know I'm letting my cynicism show. One of the hardest things for me to tolerate while taking my prerequisites was sharing the classroom with others that didn't have a financial stake in their education, as well as having to maintain a whole 2.0 GPA to remain eligible for the aid. (Absolutely not aimed at the posters here, but at some of those in the previously listed categories.)

Anyway, the college office has folks that are experts at finding you money.

Dwayne

It seems that we are in a transition period where many paramedics are reaching for that degree, which is definitely a positive thing and advancement to the profession. However, the financial aid available to paramedic students is very little in comparison to other health care professions. Couple that with the fact that so few paramedic students are living at home with mommy and daddy. Most of us are paying for our tuition (and books-ouch!) ourselves working nights and weekends as EMTs. Community colleges are becoming less an less affordable and with the economic situation, student loans are more difficult to get and more expensive.

Medic mills are more than happy to have one sign up for a loan in any amount.

Unfortunately, there are few mentors at the EMT-B level to foster a good path to a Paramedic education. In EMS, we still allow the minimally educated to teach the minimally educated. In EMS, finding degreed professionals to encourage students to go the college route is still difficult. A degree of any type is not always required to teach at a technical school. If the instructors themselves have not discovered the benefits of an education, the students will not hear about the benefits either.

CNAs (nursing assistants) are usually trained by RNs with a college degree. Many times in a class, the students will ask about becoming an RN. The RN will be able to offer advice and put them on the correct path.

Rarely is higher eduation a thought when an EMT-B looks for employment. Tuition reimbursement or any education benefits are rarely asked about. Once the RN plants the education thought process in a CNA, the CNA will seek out employers that support their ambitions. You also won't hear much complaining about their eduation because they know it is required. They also may know the benefits of paying alittle more for X school as opposed to Y school. They may be already in the forward thinking process of where they want their education to take them.

There are ambulance companies and hospitals that will support a student with flexible hours and reimbursement. And what if you have to work in an ED for a year or two while in college? You may even learn more skills and knowledge to help you in the long run. If you are really in dire straits for a paramedic education, you can even hook up with a company that still does the back room medic milling.

If there is no fostering of EMS education or a true interest from within our own profession, why should colleges extend the resources for what could be considered a futile project at this time. Florida has had EMS degrees for 30 years. Yet, few students actually graduate with the degree. They stop with the certificate. For goodness sakes, it is community college education and not a 4 year degree at $36k/yr with a Masters expected to follow as in other health professions.

Couldn't agree with you more Dwayne. And now that you opened that can of worms:

Seems that the harder I work, the less help I get. Maybe I should have a few kids all with different "baby daddies", quit my job, get the state to pay for all my tuition and books, and give me child care vouchers, food stamps, and welfare. Hey, it is what half the students in my math class this semester are doing, and they are proud enough to talk about it in class.

Maybe I am a little bitter, and am sure I will be labeled as such. But it a little irritating to see them talk about their childcare vouchers and tuition assistance crap, while they sit in class in their new brand name clothing/shoes, with their brand new textbooks, which they proudly did not have to pay for. Meanwhile I am sitting there in my uniform, coming to class straight from work, and knowing I will be eating ramen noodles and PB&J for the next month so I can pay for my used textbooks.

But as a small consolation, it was really funny to see their reactions when I walked into class the first day coming from work wearing brass and badge. But oh well, I graduate this semester. Such is life.

Awesome post Vent. I hadn't really thought of it from that perspective before. I know if those here hadn't counseled me on the benefits of getting a degree that it would more than likely not have occurred to me, as it was not brought up elsewhere.

And to those with a degree....are you listening? I think that Vent just added the responsibility of mentor to you job requirements. I found that it's easy to keep my degree status to myself when in a room of medics without one, but if we allow ourselves to be cowed because we've excelled then we've wasted much of what we've become, haven't we?

Others took the time to lead us, now it's our turn, and responsibility to lead others. (When I reread that it sounds like a bunch of self righteous crap, but I don't know how to say it better so you'll need to take it in the spirit intended.)

Riblett, I was looked at as ignorant in some of my classes. The proof being that I was too stupid to get out of paying for my classes. Leading the class in GPA wasn't enough to overcome the obvious stupidity I displayed by paying my own way! :)

I often wonder if all of the nursing students I went to school with will think of their free ride while cussing their indigent patients?

One of the many things I like about your posts is your great attitude. As you've said, you're almost done...Keep your chin up!

It's ok for us to bitch and complain about the way things are....but things are still going to be the way they are long after we are finished with school...

Be angry...But don't get bitter. The first is temporary, the second permanent. See what I mean?

Dwayne

I often wonder if all of the nursing students I went to school with will think of their free ride while cussing their indigent patients?

Of course they will not ! They have compassion........... :roll:

NC has very cheap community college tuition rates. I have paid for all of my paramedic education and all education I have received in the community college system. It would be nice to have others pay for it, but it is a good investment in my opinion.

What you mention Riblett about people getting a free ride when they seem to be able to afford the "nicer things" in life is why I have a problem with NC trying to make community college free to everyone. I fell that it will end up clogging the system with lowlifes that have no business in such a setting. These will be the same people that demand that the state provide them money to go to school. I think the more quality people that attend college are the ones who have to work to get where they want to be, not the ones who have it all paid for them.

You make a great point Mateo. I can see NC's Community Colleges being free to in state high school graduates as positive thing, but with the stipulation that they maintain a certain GPA. And clean criminal records; the first drug conviction a student gets should be the end of their free in state Community College attendance. Period. The last thing the college systems need are those getting a free ride who are ungrateful and put forth little or no effort.